|Title||Professor and Vice-President|
Prof. Musheng Zeng is a vice director and professor of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. He gained his Ph.D. degree at Sun Yat-sen University in 1998 and had his Post-doc training in Tennessee State University and New England Medical Center, Tufts University from 1999 to 2003. Prof. Musheng Zeng moved back to China to start his lab since 2003. In 2014, he was awarded as Changjiang Scholar Professor from Ministry of Education of China.
Zeng’s laboratory majorly engages in the pathogenesis and etiology of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC), especially the mechanism of EBV infection and transformation in nasopharyngeal epithelial cells. In endemic regions, NPC presents as a complex disease caused by an interaction of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) chronic infection, environmental, and genetic factors, in a multistep carcinogenic process.
Prof. Zeng has previously deeply studied the variation of EBV and completed the first full-length genomic sequence analysis of an NPC-derived EBV strain (termed GD1, Guangdong strain 1).
He has already established the first cellular proto-oncogene immortalized nasopharyngeal epithelial cell line and preliminarily illuminated the mechanisms involved in the tumorigenesis of NPC, and found the functional and mechanistic links between the oncoprotein Bmi-1 and the tumor suppressor PTEN in the development and progression of cancer. Most importantly, he recently established highly infective efficiency and stable in vitro epithelial cell model for EBV infection. Moreover, he discovered that EBV encoded LMP2A could induce epithelial mesenchymal transition (EMT) and increases side population of stem-like cancer cells in NPC, suggesting a novel mechanism by which EBV induces the initiation, metastasis and recurrence of NPC.
Recently, he has identified that NRP1 interacts with gB and mediates EBV infection of nasopharyngeal epithelial cells, putting forward the novel mechanism of EBV infecting epithelial cells.
1988 B.S. in Biology
Nan Chang University, Jiangxi, China
1994 M.M. in Oncology
Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
1998 Ph.D. in Microbiology
Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
1999-2000 Postdoc in Biology
Tennessee State University, USA
2000-2003 Postdoc in Radiation Oncology
New England Medical Center, Tufts University, USA
1） Wang HB, Zhang H, Zhang JP, Li Y, Zhao B, Feng GK, Du Y, Xiong D, Zhong Q, Liu WL, Du H, Li MZ, Huang WL, Tsao SW, Hutt-Fletcher L, Zeng YX, Kieff E, Zeng MS*. Neuropilin 1 is an entry factor that promotes EBV infection of nasopharyngeal epithelial cells. Nat Commun. 2015 Feb 11;6:6240. doi: 10.1038/ncomms7240.
2） Song LB, Li J, Liao WT, Feng Y, Yu CP, Hu LJ, Kong QL, Xu LH, Zhang X, Liu WL, Li MZ, Zhang L, Kang TB, Fu LW, Huang WL, Xia YF, Tsao SW, Li MF, Band V, Band H, Shi QH, Zeng YX, Zeng MS*. The Polycomb Group Protein Bmi-1 Represses Tumor Suppressor PTEN and Induces Epithelial-mesenchymal Transition in Nasopharyngeal Epithelial Cells. J Clin Invest. 2009 Dec;119(12):3626-36. doi: 10.1172/JCI39374. Epub 2009 Nov 2.
3） Xu FH, Xiong D, Xu YF, Cao SM, Xue WQ, Qin HD, Liu WS, Cao JY, Zhang Y, Feng QS, Chen LZ, Li MZ, Liu ZW, Liu Q, Hong MH, Shugart YY, Zeng YX, Zeng MS*, Jia WH*. An epidemiological and molecular study of the relationship between smoking, risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma, and Epstein-Barr virus activation. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012 Sep 19;104(18):1396-410. Epub 2012 Sep 12.
4） Kong QL, Hu LJ, Cao JY, Huang YJ, Xu LH, Liang Y, Xiong D, Guan S, Guo BH, Mai HQ, Chen QY, Zhang X, Li MZ, Shao JY, Qian CN, Xia YF, Song LB, Zeng YX, Zeng MS*. Epstein-Barr virus-encoded LMP2A induces an epithelial-mesenchymal transition and increases the number of side population stem-like cancer cells in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. PLoS Pathog. 2010 Jun 3;6(6):e1000940
5） Feng GK, Liu RB, Zhang MQ, Ye XX, Zhong Q, Xia YF, Li MZ, Wang J, Song EW, Zhang X, Wu ZZ, Zeng MS*. SPECT and near-infrared fluorescence imaging of breast cancer with a neuropilin-1-targeting peptide. J Control Release. 2014 Oct 28;192:236-42.
6） Tang LQ, Li CF, Chen QY, Zhang L, Lai XP, He Y, Xu YX, Hu DP, Wen SH, Peng YT, Chen WH, Liu H, Guo SS, Liu LT, Li J, Zhang JP, Guo L, Zhao C, Cao KJ, Qian CN, Zeng YX, Guo X, Mai HQ, Zeng MS*. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein complements plasma epstein-barr virus deoxyribonucleic Acid prognostication in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a large-scale retrospective and prospective cohort study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015 Feb 1;91(2):325-36.
7） Yuan L, Liu ZH, Lin ZR, Xu LH, Zhong Q, Zeng MS*. Recurrent FGFR3-TACC3 fusion gene in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Biol Ther. 2014;15(12):1613-21
8） Zhang JP, Zhang H, Wang HB, Li YX, Liu GH, Xing S, Li MZ, Zeng MS*. Down-regulation of Sp1 suppresses cell proliferation, clonogenicity and the expressions of stem cell markers in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Transl Med. 2014 Aug 7;12:222. doi: 10.1186/s12967-014-0222-1
9） Zou QF, Du JK, Zhang H, Wang HB, Hu ZD, Chen SP, Du Y, Li MZ, Xie D, Zou J, Sun HD, Pu JX, Zeng MS*. Anti-tumour activity of longikaurin A (LK-A), a novel natural diterpenoid, in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Transl Med. 2013 Aug 28;11:200. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-11-200
10） Wang HB, Liu GH, Zhang H, Xing S, Hu LJ, Zhao WF, Xie B, Li MZ, Zeng BH, Li Y, Zeng MS*. Sp1 and c-Myc regulate transcription of BMI1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. FEBS J. 2013 Jun;280(12):2929-44.
11） Guo BH, Feng Y, Zhang R, Xu LH, Li MZ, Kung HF, Song LB, Zeng MS*. Bmi-1 promotes invasion and metastasis, and its elevated expression is correlated with an advanced stage of breast cancer. Mol Cancer. 2011 Jan 28;10(1):10. doi: 10.1186/1476-4598-10-10.
12） Cao JY, Liu L, Chen SP, Zhang X, Mi YJ, Liu ZG, Li MZ, Zhang H, Qian CN, Shao JY, Fu LW, Xia YF *, Zeng MS*. Prognostic significance and therapeutic implications of centromere protein F expression in human nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Mol Cancer. 2010 Sep 9;9:237
13） Dong J, Zeng BH, Xu LH, Wang JY, Li MZ, Zeng MS*, Liu WL *.Anti-CDC25B autoantibody predicts poor prognosis in patients with advanced esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. J Transl Med. 2010 Sep 3;8:81
14） Liu WL, Guo XZ, Zhang LJ, Wang JY, Zhang G, Guan S, Chen YM, Kong QL, Xu LH, Li MZ, Song LB, Zeng MS*. Prognostic relevance of Bmi-1 expression and autoantibodies in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2010 Sep 1;10:467
15） Guo BH, Zhang X, Zhang HZ, Lin HL, Feng Y, Shao JY, Huang WL, Kung HF, Zeng MS*. Low expression of Mel-18 predicts poor prognosis in patients with breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2010 May 5.
16） Song LB, Zeng MS*, Liao WT, Zhang L, Mo HY, Liu WL, Shao JY, Wu QL, Li MZ, Xia YF, Fu LW, Huang WL, Dimri G, Band V and Zeng YX. Bmi-1 is a novel molecular marker of nasopharyngeal carcinoma progression and immortalizes primary human nasopharyngeal epithelial cells. Cancer Res. 2006；66 (12)：6225 .
17） Liao WT, Song LB, Zhang HZ, Zhang X, Zhang L, Liu WL, Feng Y, Guo BH, Mai HQ, Cao SM, Li MZ, Qin HD, Zeng YX, Zeng MS*. CENP-H is a Novel Prognostic Marker for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Progression and Overall Patient Survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2007，13(2):508-14.
18） Zeng MS, Li DJ, Liu QL, Song LB, Li MZ, Zhang RH, Yu XJ, Wang HM, Ernberg I, Zeng YX. Genomic sequence analysis of an Epstein-Barr virus strain GD1 from a nasopharyngeal carcinoma patient. J Virol （IF 5.31） 2005, 79 (24):15323-15330.
19） Qin ZK, Yang JA, Ye YL, Zhang X, Xu LH, Zhou FJ, Han H, Liu ZW, Song LB, Zeng MS*. Expression of Bmi-1 is a prognostic marker in bladder cancer. BMC Cancer. 2009 Feb 19;9:61. PubMed PMID: 19228380; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2652492.
20） Liu WL, Zhang G, Wang JY, Cao JY, Guo XZ, Xu LH, Li MZ, Song LB, Huang WL, Zeng MS*. Proteomics-based identification of autoantibody against CDC25B as a novel serum marker in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Oct 24;375(3):440-5. Epub 2008 Aug 21. PubMed PMID: 18722351.
21） Guo XZ, Zhang G, Wang JY, Liu WL, Wang F, Dong JQ, Xu LH, Cao JY, Song LB, Zeng MS*. Prognostic relevance of Centromere protein H expression in esophageal carcinoma. BMC Cancer. 2008 Aug 13;8:233. PubMed PMID: 18700042; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2535782.
22） Song LB, Liao WT, Mai HQ, Zhang HZ, Zhang L, Li MZ, Hou JH, Fu LW, Huang WL, Zeng YX, Zeng MS*. The Clinical Significance of Twist Expression in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. Cancer Letters. 2006，242（2）：257.
23） Jiang RC, Qin HD, Zeng MS(the first three mentionned authors contributed equally to the article), Huang W, Feng BJ, Zhang F, Chen HK, Jia WH, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Zhang RH, Yu XJ, Zheng MZ, Zeng YX. A functional variant in the transcriptional regulatory region of gene LOC344967 co-segregates with disease phenotype in familial nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2006, 66(2): 693-700.
24） Liu JH, Song LB, Zhang X, Guo BH, Feng Y, Li XX, Liao WT, Zeng MS*(corresponding author), Huang KH. Bmi-1*(corresponding author) expression predicts prognosis for patients with gastric carcinoma. J Surg Oncol. 2008;97(3):267
25） Zeng MS , Kumar A, Meng G, Gao Q, Dimri G, Wazer D, Band H, Band V. Human papilloma virus 16 E6 oncoprotein inhibits RXR-mediated transactivation by targeting human ADA3 coactivator. J Biol Chem. 2002; 277(47): 45611-45618.
26） Zeng M, Zhang Y, Bhat I, Wazer D and Band V. The human kallikrein 10 promoter contains a functional retinoid acid response element. Biol Chem..2006, 387（6）：741
Last updated on: March, 2015
|Title||Professor and Former President|
Dr. Yi-Xin Zeng had been the President of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center since 1997 till 2013. He had served as the Director of State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China since 2004. Now he is a professor and president of Peking Union Medical College. Dr. Zeng obtained his PhD and MD at Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences in 1990. He was elected as member of the Chinese Academy of Science in 2005. He received his post-doc training on molecular mechanisms of cancer pathogenesis in Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Tokyo University and University of Pennsylvania from 1992 to 1997. He was appointed as a professor of Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences and vice president of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center after he returned to China in 1997. He was elected as Outstanding Young Teacher by Ministry of Education in 2002, Outstanding Young Expert by Ministry of Health in 2006.
His research is devoted to the pathogenesis of cancer and cancer biotherapy, with a focus on nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), on which he has published over 300 papers in international famous journals including Nature, Nature Genetic and Cancer Research. He has been honored with many awards for his research, including Second Class Award for Natural Science Achievements (National Office for Science and Technology Awards, 2005), He-Liang-He-Li Award for Science and Technology Advancement (2007), Award for Outstanding Science and Technology Achievements in Guangdong Province (the People's Government of Guangdong Province, 2011).
Currently Dr. Zeng is leading the 863 program (National High Technology Research and Development Program of China) “Molecular Classification and Individualized Therapy for Major Diseases” and 973 program (National Basic Research Program of China) “Research on Mechanisms and Intervene of Oncogenic Virus”.
He served as the president of International Association of EB Virus and Related Diseases from 2006 to 2008. He is the chief editor of national postgraduate textbook Oncology designed by the Minister of Health, the Editor-in-chief of the Chinese Journal of Cancer and Vice Editor-in-chief of medicine undergraduate textbook Clinical Oncology. He has also acted as the vice president of China Anti-Cancer Association since 2007.
1. Identification and functional characterization of nasopharyngeal (NPC) susceptibility genes
2. Identification and functional characterization of NPC associated Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) subtypes
3. Gene, EBV and environment interactions in the pathogenesis of NPC
4. Cancer biotherapy and intervene of EBV in the early stage of NPC pathogenesis
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Research Associate, 1994 -1997
Institute of Medical Science, Tokyo University and Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Posdoc Fellow, 1992 -1994
Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangdong Province, China. M.D., Ph.D., 1990.
HengYang Medical College, Hunan Province, China. B.S. in Medicine, 1985.
1. Liu P, Fang X, Feng Z, Guo YM, Peng RJ, Liu T, Huang Z, Feng Y, Sun X, Xiong Z, Guo X, Pang SS, Wang B, Lv X, Feng FT, Li DJ, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Huang WL, ZengMS, Bei JX, Zhang Y, Zeng YX. Direct sequencing and characterization of aclinical isolate of Epstein-Barr virus from nasopharyngeal carcinoma tissue byusing next-generation sequencing technology. J Virol. 2011, 85(21):11291-9.
2. Bei JX, Li Y, Jia WH, Feng BJ, Zhou GQ, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Low HQ, Zhang H, He F, Tai ES, Kang TB, Liu ET, Liu JJ and Zeng YX. A genome-wide association study of nasopharyngeal carcinoma identifies three new susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2010, 42(7):599-603.
3. Liang Y, Zhong ZD, Huang Y, Deng W, Cao J, Tsao G, Liu Q, Pei DQ, Kan TB and Zeng YX. Stem-like cancer cells are inducible by increasing genomic instability in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2010, 285:4931-40.
4. Feng BJ, Huang W, Shugart YY, Lee MK, Zhang F, Xia JC, Wang HY, Huang TB, Jian SW, Huang P, Feng QS, Huang LX, Yu XJ, Li D, Chen LZ, Jia WH, Fang Y, Huang HM, Zhu JL, Liu XM, Zhao Y, Liu WQ, Deng MQ, Hu WH, Wu SX, Mo HY, Hong MF, King MC, Chen Z, Zeng YX. Genome-wide scan for familial nasopharyngeal carcinoma reveals evidence of linkage to chromosome 4. Nat Genet. 2002 ,31(4):395-9.
5. Somasundaram K, Zhang H, Zeng YX, Houvras Y, Peng Y, Zhang H, Wu GS, Licht JD, Weber BL, El-Deiry WS. Arrest of the cell cycle by the tumour-suppressor BRCA1 requires the CDK-inhibitor p21WAF1/CiP1. Nature. 1997, 11;389(6647):187-90.6. Zeng YX, Somasundaram K, el-Deiry WS. AP2 inhibits cancer cell growth and activates p21WAF1/CIP1 expression. Nat Genet. 1997,15(1):78-82.
Last updated on: 2011
|Title||Professor and Director|
Li-wu Fu, Ph.D., Professor, Doctoral Supervisor. Prof. Fu obtained his PhD in the field of Cancer Pharmacology from the Sun Yat-sen University and carried out his doctoral research in South Carolina Medical University from 1999 to 2001.
Prof. Fu’s field of expertise includes anticancer drug pharmacology, molecular mechanism of anticancer drugs and individual cancer chemotherapy. In recent years, he mainly focused on the study of molecular mechanism of anti-cancer drugs, drug resistance of cancer cells (especially multidrug resistance), the innate resistance of cancer stem cells and the individual cancer chemotherapy. For the excellent work in the research of “Strategies for overcoming ABC-transporters-mediated multidrug resistance (MDR) of tumor cells”, Prof. Fu’s team gained the first prize of “Chinese Anti-Cancer Association (CACA) Science and Technology Award” (Ranked first) and the second prize of “Institute of Higher Education Outstanding Scientific Research Achievements Award” (Natural Science Award) in 2011.
As the leader of the research group, he has won the provincial and ministerial level scientific and technological awards for several times, including the “Outstanding young scientific and technological talents award from Ministry of Health”, the “Servier outstanding young workers Pharmacology Award” and the “Ding Ying Science Award” in 2011.
Prof. Fu has presided over and successfully completed more than 40 key research projects on national, provincial and ministerial scale and horizontal fund projects.
More than 200 research papers have been published and up to 100 papers have been published in high-quality SCI journals, including Cancer Res (6 articles), Oncotarget, Mol Med, Cell Cycle, Eur J Cancer, Mol Cancer Ther, Birth J Parmacol, Biochem Pharmacol , Mol Pharmacol etc. and 10 invention patents have been attained.
|Phone||Phone:020-87343163, Cell phone:13802749371|
1. Screening of tumor multi-drug resistance reversal agents and mechanism research
2. Development and research of novel chemotheraputic drugs.
3. Developing tumor chemosensitivity testing system to realize individualized chemotherapy
1982-1987 M.D. Degree from Guangdong Medical and Pharmaceutical College, Guangdong, China.
1990-1993 Master degree from Sun Yat-Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangdong, China.
1993-1996 Ph.D. degree from Sun Yat-Sen University of Cancer Center, Guangdong, China.
1999-2002 Postdoctoral Associate at South Carolina Medical University, United States.
1．Wang XK, He JH, Xu JH, Ye S, Wang F, Zhang H, Huang ZC, To KK, Fu LW*. Afatinib Enhances the Efficacy of Conventional Chemotherapeutic Agents by Eradicating Cancer Stem-like Cells. Cancer Res. 2014 Jun 27. [Epub ahead of print] (IF:9.28)
2. Zhu H, Zhang H, Jin F, Fang M, Huang M, Yang CS, Chen T, Fu L*, Pan Z*. Elevated Orai1 expression mediates tumor-promoting intracellular Ca2+ oscillations in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2014 Jun 15;5(11):3455-71. (IF:6.63)
3. Zhang H, Wang YJ, Zhang YK, Wang DS, Kathawala RJ, Patel A, Talele TT, Chen ZS, Fu LW*. AST1306, a potent EGFR inhibitor, antagonizes ATP-binding cassette subfamily G member 2-mediated multidrug resistance. Cancer Lett. 2014 Aug 1;350(1-2):61-8. (IF:5.02)
4. Hong J, Liu Z, Zhu H, Zhang X, Liang Y, Yao S, Wang F, Xie X, Zhang B, Tan T, Fu L*, Nie J*, Cheng C*. The tumor suppressive role of NUMB isoform 1 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncotarget. 2014 Jun 26. [Epub ahead of print] (IF:6.63)
5. Liu KJ, He JH, Su XD, Sim HM, Xie JD, Chen XG, Wang F, Liang YJ, Singh S, Sodani K, Talele TT, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS, Wu HY, Fu LW*. Saracatinib (AZD0530) is a potent modulator of ABCB 1-mediated multidrug resistance in vitro and in vivo. Int J Cancer. 2013 Jan 1;132(1):224-35. (IF=6.20)
6. Hu YP, Tao LY, Wang F, Zhang JY, Liang YJ, Fu LW*. Secalonic acid D reduced the percentage of side populations by down-regulating the expression of ABCG2. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013 Jun 1;85(11):1619-25. (IF=4.65)
7. Zhao XQ, Xie JD, Chen XG, Sim HM, Zhang X, Liang YJ, Singh S, Talele TT, Sun Y, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS, Fu LW*. Neratinib Reverses ATP-Binding Cassette B1-Mediated Chemotherapeutic Drug Resistance In Vitro, In Vivo, and Ex Vivo. Mol Pharmacol. 2012; 82(1):47-5
8. (IF=4.78)8. Shi Z, Tiwari AK, Shukla S, Robey RW, Singh S, Kim IW, Bates SE, Peng XX, Abraham I, Ambudkar SV, Talele TT, Fu LW*, Chen ZS*. Sildenafil reverses ABCB1- and ABCG2-mediated chemotherapeutic drug resistance. Cancer Res. 2011; 71(8):3029-41. (IF:9.28)
9.Wang F, Liang YJ, Wu XP, Chen LM, To KK, Dai CL, Yan YY, Wang YS, Tong XZ, Fu LW*. Prognostic value of the multidrug resistance transporter ABCG2 gene polymorphisms in Chinese patients with de novo acute leukaemia. Eur J Cancer. 2011; 47(13):1990-9. (IF=5.54)
10. Yan YY, Zheng LS, Zhang X, Chen LK, Singh S, Wang F, Zhang JY, Liang YJ, Dai CL, Gu LQ, Zeng MS, T Talele T, Chen ZS, Fu LW*. Blockade of Her2/neu binding to Hsp90 by emodin azide methyl anthraquinone derivative induces proteasomal degradation of Her2/neu. Mol Pharm. 2011; 8(5):1687-97. (IF=5.4)
11. Shi Z, Tiwari AK, Patel AS, Fu LW*, Chen ZS*. Roles of sildenafil in enhancing drug sensitivity in cancer. Cancer Res. 2011; 71(11):3735-8. (IF:9.28) (Review)
12. Mi YJ, Liang YJ, Huang HB, Zhao HY, Wu CP, Wang F, Tao LY, Zhang CZ, Dai CL, Tiwari AK, Ma XX, To KK, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS, Fu LW*. Apatinib (YN968D1) Reverses Multidrug Resistance by Inhibiting the Efflux Function of Multiple ATP-Binding Cassette Transporters. Cancer Res. 2010; 70(20):7981-91. (IF:9.28)
13. Zhang JY, Tao LY, Liang YJ, Yan YY, Dai CL, Xia XK, She ZG, Lin YC, Fu LW*. Secalonic acid D induced leukemia cell apoptosis and cell cycle arrest of G(1) with involvement of GSK-3beta/beta-catenin/c- Myc pathway. Cell Cycle. 2009; 8(15):2444-50. (IF=5.0)
14. Dai CL, Tiwari AK, Wu CP, Su XD, Wang SR, Liu DG, Ashby Jr. CR, Huang Y， Robey RW, Liang YJ, Chen LM, Shi CJ, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS, Fu LW*. Lapatinib (Tykerb, GW572016) Reverses Multidrug Resistance in Cancer Cells by Inhibiting the Activity of ATP-Binding Cassette Subfamily B Member 1 and G Member 2. Cancer Res. 2008; 68(19):7905-7914. (IF:9.28)
15.Yan YY, Su XD, Liang YJ, Zhang JY, Shi CJ, Lu Y, Gu LQ, Fu LW*. Emodin azide methyl anthraquinone derivative triggers mitochondrial-dependent cell apoptosis involving in caspase-8-mediated Bid cleavage. Mol Cancer Ther. 2008; 7(6):1688-97. (IF=6.11)
16. Shi Z, Peng XX, Kim IW, Shukla S, Si QS, Robey RW, Bates SE, Shen T, Ashby CR Jr, Fu LW*, Ambudkar SV, Chen ZS*. Erlotinib (Tarceva, OSI-774) antagonizes ATP-binding cassette subfamily B member 1 and ATP-binding cassette subfamily G member 2-mediated drug resistance. Cancer Res. 2007; 67(22):11012-20. (IF:9.28)
Last updated on: August, 2014
|Title||Deputy Director and Professor|
Zhu Xiaofeng is the deputy director of the Experimental Research Department and a professor in the State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China. He is also the Director of the Committee of Cancer pharmacology in Guangdong Pharmacological Society, a Standing member of the Committee of Cancer pharmacology in Chinese Pharmacological Society, aStanding member of the Committee of anticancer drug in Chinese association for cancer research, Editorial board member for Chinese Journal of Cancer; Editorial board member for Frontier in Pharmacology and an Advisory board member for Advances in Therapy. His main research interest is Signal transduction in cancer and targeted anticancer drugs.
Signal transduction in cancer and targeted anticancer drugs
Patents and Products
2000,1----2000,9 Visiting scholar, Structure biology and anticancer drug discovery program, Georgetown University Lombardi Cancer Center
1. Ting Sun, Xuan Li, Peng Zhang, Wen-Dan Chen, Hai-Liang Zhang, Dan-Dan Li, Rong Deng, Xiao-Jun Qian, Lin Jiao, Jiao Ji, Yuan-Tian Li, Rui-Yan Wu, Yan Yu, Gong-Kan Feng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Acetylation of Beclin 1 inhibits autophagosome maturation and promotes tumour growth. Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 7215.
2. Jing-Hong Chen, Peng Zhang, Wen-Dan Chen, Dan-Dan Li, Rong Deng, Xuan Li, Jiao Ji, Gong-Kan Feng, Yi-Xin Zeng, Jian-Wei Jiang*, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. ATM-mediated PTEN phosphorylation promotes PTEN nuclear translocation and autophagy in response to topotecan in cancer cells. Autophagy, 2015; 11(2): 239-52
3. Yun-Tian Li, Xiao-Jun Qian, Yan Yu, Zhen-Hua Li, Rui-Yan Wu, Jiao Ji, Lin Jiao, Xuan Li, Peng-Fei Kong, Wen-Dan Chen, Gong-Kan Feng, Rong Deng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors promote pro-caspase-8 dimerization that sensitizes cancer cells to DNA-damaging therapy. Oncotarget. 2015 Apr 29. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Xiao-jun Qian, Yun-tian Li, Yan Yu, Yang Fen, Rong Deng, Jiao Ji, Lin Jiao, Xuan Li, Rui-Yan Wu, Wen-Dan Chen, Gong-Kan Feng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Inhibition of DNA Methyltransferase as a Novel Therapeutic Strategy to Overcome Acquired Resistance to Dual PI3K/mTOR Inhibitors. Oncotarget. 2015; 6(7): 5134-46
5. Juan Qin, Jiao Ji, Rong Deng, Jun Tang, Fen Yang, Gong-Kan Feng, Wen-Dan Chen, Xiao-Qi Wu, Xiao-Jun Qian, Shao-Hua Chang, Ke Ding, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. DC120, a novel AKT inhibitor, preferentially inhibits nasopharyngeal carcinoma cancer stem-like cells by downregulating Sox2 expression. Oncotarget. 2015; 6(9):6944-58
6. Yang F, Deng R, Qian XJ, Chang SH, Wu XQ, Qin J, Feng GK, Ding K, Zhu XF*. Feedback loops blockade potentiates apoptosis induction and antitumor activity of a novel AKT inhibitor DC120 in human liver cancer. Cell Death Dis. 2014 Mar 13;5:e1114.
7. He JH, Liao XL, Wang W, Li DD, Chen WD, Deng R, Yang D, Han ZP, Jiang JW, Zhu XF*. Apogossypolone, a small-molecule inhibitor of Bcl-2, induces radiosensitization of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by stimulating autophagy. Int J Oncol, 2014:45(3): 1099-108.
8. Yang F, Qian XJ, Qin W, Deng R, Wu XQ, Qin J, Feng GK, Zhu XF*. Dual phosphoinositide 3-kinase/mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor NVP-BEZ235 has a therapeutic potential and sensitizes cisplatin in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e59879
9. Xiao-Yue Zhang, Xiao-Qi Wu, Rong Deng, Ting Sun, Gong-Kan Feng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Upregulation of sestrin 2 expression via JNK pathway activation contributes to autophagy induction in cancer cells. Cell Signal. 2013 Jan;25(1):150-8
10. Rong Deng, Fen Yang, Shao-Hua Chang, Jun Tang, Juan Qin, Gong-Kan Feng, Ke Ding, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. DC120, a novel and potent inhibitor of AKT kinase, induces tumor cell apoptosis and suppresses tumor growth. Mol Pharmacol, 2012, 82(2):189-98
11. Jun Tang, Rong Deng, Rong-Zhen Luo, Guo-Ping Shen, Mo-Yan Cai, Zi-Ming Du, Shang Jiang, Ming-Tian Yang, Jian-Hua Fu, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Low expression of ULK1 is associated with operable breast cancer progression and is an adverse prognostic marker of survival for patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 2012, 134(2):549-60
12. Dan-Dan Li, Ting Sun, Xiao-Qi Wu, Shu-Peng Chen, Rong Deng, Shan Jiang, Gong-Kan Feng, Jin-Xuan Pan, Xiao-shi Zhang, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. The Inhibition of Autophagy Sensitises Colon Cancer Cells with Wild-Type p53 but Not Mutant p53 to Topotecan Treatment. PLoS ONE*, 2012, 7(9): e45058. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0045058
13. Rong Deng, Jun Tang, Jian-Guo Ma, Shu-Peng Chen, Liang-Ping Xia, Wen-Jun Zhou, Dan-Dan Li, Gong-Kan Feng, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. PKB/Akt promotes DSB repair in cancer cells through upregulating Mre11 expression following ionizing radiation. Oncogene, 2011, 30: 944-55
14. Dan-Dan Li, Jin-Feng Guo, Jia-Jia Huang, Lin-Lin Wang, Rong Deng, Jian-Nan Liu, Gong-Kan Feng, Ding-Jun Xiao, Song-Zhi Deng, Xiao-Shi Zhang, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Rhabdastrellic acid-A induced autophagy-associated cell death through blocking Akt pathway in human cancer cells. PLos One, 2010, 5(8):e12176
15. Rong Deng, Jun Tang, Bin-Fen Xie, Gong-Kan Feng, Yue-Han Huang, Zong-Chao Liu, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. SYUNZ-16, a new synthesized alkannin derivative, induces tumor cells apoptosis and suppresses tumor growth through inhibition of PKB/AKT kinase activity and blockade of AKT/FOXO signal pathway. Int J Cancer, 2010, 127(1):220-9
16. Wen-Jun Zhou, Rong Deng, Xiao-Yue Zhang, Gong-Kan Feng, Lian-Quan Gu, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. G-quadruplex ligand SYUIQ-5 induces autophagy by telomere damage and TRF2 delocalization in cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther, 2009, 8:3203-3213
17. Dan-Dan Li, Lin-Lin Wang, Rong Deng, Jun Tang, Yang Shen, Jin-Feng Guo, Yao Wang, Liang-Ping Xia, Gong-Kan Feng, Quentin Q Liu, Wen-Lin Huang, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. The pivotal role of c-Jun-NH2-terminal kinase-mediated Beclin-1 expression during anticancer agents-induced autophagy in cancer cells. Oncogene, 2009, 28, 886-898.
18. Rong Deng, Jun Tang, Liang-Ping Xia, Dan-Dan Li, Lin-Lin Wang, Gong-Kan Feng, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. ExcisaninA induces tumor cells apoptosis and suppresses tumor growth through inhibition of PKB/AKT kinase activity and blockade of its signal pathway. Mol Cancer Ther, 2009, 8(4): 873-882.
19. Dan-Dan Li, Xiao-Qi Wu, Ju Tang, Xiao-Yi Wei, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. ON-III inhibits erbB-2 tyrosine kinase receptor signal pathway and triggers apoptosis through induction of Bim in breast cancer cells. Cancer Biology & Therapy, 2009; 8(8):739-43
20. Hu ZY, Zhu XF(co-first author), Zhong ZD, Sun J, Wang J, Yang D, Zeng YX. ApoG2, a novel inhibitor of antiapoptotic Bcl-2 family proteins, induces apoptosis and suppresses tumor growth in nasopharyngeal carcinoma xenografts. Int J Cancer, 2008, 123(10):2418-29
21. Yuan XW, Zhu XF*, Liang SG, Fan Q, Chen ZX, Huang XF, Sheng PY, He AS, Yang ZB, Deng R, Feng GK, Liao WM. Interferonalpha enhances etoposide-induced apoptosis in human osteosarcoma U2OS cells by a p53-dependent pathway. Life Sci, 2008, 82(7-8): 393-401
22. Guo JF, Zhou JM, Zhang Y, Deng R, Liu JN, Feng GK, Liu ZC, Xiao DJ, Deng SZ, Zhu XF*. Rhabdastrellic acid-A inhibited PI3K/Akt pathway and induced apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells. Cell Biol Int. 2008, 32(1):48-54
23. Xiang-Wei Yuan, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Wei-Ming Liao. p14ARF sensitizes human osteosar- coma cells to cisplatin-induced apoptosis in a p53-independent manner. Cancer Biology & Therapy, 2007, 6(7): 1074 -1080
24. Guan Z, Wang XR, Zhu XF (co-first author), Huang XF, Xu J, Wang LH, Wan XB, Long ZJ, Liu JN, Feng GK, Huang W, Zeng YX, Chen FJ, Liu Q. Aurora-A, a negative prognostic marker, increases migration and decreases radiosensitivity in cancer cells. Cancer Res, 2007;67(21):10436-44
25. Xiang-Wei Yuan, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Huang XF, Sheng PY, He AS, Yang ZB, Deng R, Feng GK, Liao WM. Interferon-alpha enhances sensitivity of human osteosarcoma U2OS cells to doxorubicin by p53-dependent apoptosis1. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2007, 28(11):1835-41.
26. Yu-Ping Mei, Jun-Min Zhou, Yi Wang, He Huang, Rong Deng, Gong-Kan Feng, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Silencing of LMP1 induces cell cycle arrest and enhances chemosensitivity through inhibition of AKT signaling pathway in EBV-positive nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Cell Cycle, 2007, 6(11): 1379-1385.
27. Jian-nan Liu, Rong Deng, Jin-Feng Guo, Jun-Min Zhou, Gong-Kan Feng, Zhi-Shu Huang, Lian-Quan Gu, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Inhibition of myc promoter and telomerase activity and induction of delayed apoptosis by SYUIQ-5, a novel G-quadruplex interactive agent in leukemia cells. Leukemia, 2007, 21(6), 1300-1302
28. Zhi-Yi Cheng, Wen-Jie Li, Feng He, Jun-Min Zhou and Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Synthesis and biological evaluation of 4-aryl-5-cyano-2H-1,2,3-triazoles as inhibitor of HER2 tyrosine kinase. Bioorg Med Chem, 2007, 15(3): 1533-1538
29. Rong Deng, Wenming Li, Zhong Guan, Jun-Min Zhou, Yi Wang, Yu-Ping Mei, Ming-Tao Li, Gong-Kan Feng, Wenlin Huang, Zong-Chao Liu, Yifan Han, Yi-Xin Zeng and Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Acetylcholinesterase expression mediated by c-Jun-NH2-terminal kinase pathway during anticancer drug-induced apoptosis. Oncogene, 2006, 25(53):7070-7
30. Jun-Min Zhou, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Yu-Jin Lu, Rong Deng, Zhi-Shu Huang, Yu-Ping Mei, Yi Wang, Wenlin Huang, Zong-Chao Liu, Lian-Quan Gu and Yin-Xin Zeng. Senescence and telomere shortening induced by novel potent G-quadruplex interactive agents, quindoline derivatives, in human cancer cell lines. Oncogene, 2006, 25, 503-511
31. Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Jing-Song Wang, Li-Ling Cai, Yi-Xin Zeng and Dajun Yang. SUCI02 inhibits the erbB-2 tyrosine kinase receptor signaling pathway and arrests the cell cycle in G phase in breast cancer cells. Cancer Science, 2006, 97(1): 84-89
32. Yu-Ping Mei, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Jun-Min Zhou, He Huang, Rong Deng, Yi-Xin Zeng. siRNA targeting LMP1-induced apoptosis in EBV-positive lymphoma cells is associated with inhibition of telomerase activity and expression. Cancer Letters, 2006, 232, 189-198
33. Jin-Jun Zhu, Fu-Bo Li, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Wei-Ming Liao. The p33(ING1b) tumor suppressor cooperates with p53 to induce apoptosis in response to etoposide in human osteosarcoma cells. Life Sciences, 2006, 78(13):1469-77
34. Xiao-Feng Zhu, Bin-Fen Xie, Jun-Min Zhou, Gong-Kan Feng, Zong-Chao Liu, Xiao-Yi Wei, Feng-Xian Zhang, Mei-Fang Liu and Yi-Xin Zeng. Blockade of VEGF receptor signal pathway and antitumor activity of ON-III, a component from Chinese herbal medicine. Mol Pharmacol, 2005, 67(5):1444-1450.
35. Jin-Jun Zhu, Fu-Bo Li, Jun-Min Zhou, Zong-Chao Liu, Xiao-Feng Zhu*, Wei-Ming Liao. The Tumor Suppressor p33(ING1b) Enhances Taxol-induced Apoptosis by p53-Dependent Pathway in Human Osteosarcoma U2OS Cells. Cancer Biol Ther, 2005, 4(1):39-47.
36. Zong-Wei Wang, Jun-Min Zhou, Zhi-Shu Huang, Ai-Ping Yang, Zong-Chao Liu, Yun-Fei Xia, Yi-Xin Zeng, Xiao-Feng Zhu*. Aloe polysaccharides mediated radioprotective effect through the inhibition of apoptosis. J Radiat Res, 2004, 45 (3): 447-454.
37. Xiao-Feng Zhu, Zong-Chao Liu, Bin-Fen Xie, Yi-Xin Zeng. Ceramide induces cell cycle arrest and upregulates p27kip in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Cancer Letters, 2003, 193(2):149-155.
38. Xiao-Feng Zhu, Zong-Chao Liu, Bin-Fen Xie, Zhi-Min Li, Gong-Kan Feng, Hai-Hiu Xie, Shu-Jun Wu, Ren-Zhou Yang, Xiao-Yi Wei, Yi-Xin Zeng. Involvement of Caspase-3 Activation in Squamocin-induced Apoptosis in Leukemia Cell line HL-60. Life Sciences, 2002, 70(11):1259-1269.
39. Xiao-Feng Zhu, Zong-Chao Liu, Bin-Fen Xie, Zhi-Min Li, Gong-Kan Feng, Dajun Yang, Yi-Xin Zeng. EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor AG1478 inhibits cell proliferation and arrests cell cycle in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cell line CNE2. Cancer Letters, 2001, 169 (1): 27-32.
40. Xiao-Feng Zhu, Xiao-Shi Zhang, Zhi-Min Li, Yu-Qi Yao, Bin-Fen Xie, Zong-Chao Liu, Yi-Xin Zeng. Apoptosis induced by ceramide in hepatocellular carcinoma Bel7402 cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2000, 21(3):225-8
41. Huang JJ, Li HR, Huang Y, Jiang WQ, Xu RH, Huang HQ, Lv Y, Xia ZJ, Zhu XF, Li ZM. Beclin 1 expression: a predictor of prognosis in patients with extranodal natural killer T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Autophagy, 2010, 6: 777-83
42. Chen J, Hu CF, Hou JH, Shao Q, Yan LX, Zhu XF, Zeng YX, Shao JY. Epstein-Barr virus encoded latent membrane protein 1 regulates mTOR signaling pathway genes which predict poor prognosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Transl Med, 2010, 8: 30
43. Du ZM, Hu CF, Shao Q, Huang MY, Kou CW, Zhu XF, Zeng YX, Shao JY. Upregulation of caveolin-1 and CD147 expression in nasopharyngeal carcinoma enhanced tumor cell migration and correlated with poor prognosis of the patients. Int J Cancer, 2009, 125(8):1832-41.
44. Hu ZY, Sun J, Zhu XF, Yang D, Zeng YX. ApoG2 induces cell cycle arrest of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by suppressing the c-Myc signaling pathway. J Transl Med, 2009; 7:74.
45. Li JJ, Ding Y, Li DD, Peng RQ, Feng GK, Zeng YX, Zhu XF, Zhang XSThe overexpression of ERCC-1 is involved in the resistance of lung cancer cells to cetuximab combined with DDP. Cancer Biol Ther, 2009, 8: 1914-21
46. Jia HY, Wu JX, Zhu XF, Chen JM, Yang SP, Yan HJ, Tan L, Zeng YX, Huang W. ZD6474 inhibits Src kinase leading to apoptosis of imatinib-resistant K562 cells. Leuk Res, 2009, 33(11):1512-9
47. Li BX, Li CY, Peng RQ, Wu XJ, Wang HY, Wan DS, Zhu XF, Zhang XS. The expression of beclin 1 is associated with favorable prognosis in stage IIIB colon cancers. Autophagy, 2009, 5(3):303-6
48. Li HL, Li S, Shao JY, Lin XB, Cao Y, Jiang WQ, Liu RY, Zhao P, Zhu XF, Zeng MS, Guan ZZ, Huang W. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of intratumoral injection of an adenovirus encoding endostatin in patients with advanced tumors. Gene Ther, 2008,15(4):247-56
49. Wan XB, Long ZJ, Yan M, Xu J, Xia LP, Liu L, Zhao Y, Huang XF, Wang XR, Zhu XF, Hong MH, Liu Q. Inhibition of Aurora-A suppresses epithelial-mesenchymal transition and invasion by downregulating MAPK in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Carcinogenesis, 2008, 29(10):1930-7
50. Li Y, Shao JY, Liu RY, Zhou L, Chai LP, Li HL, Han HY, Huang BJ, Zeng MS, Zhu XF, Liu Q, Fu LW, Huang W. Evaluation of long-term toxicity of Ad/hIFN-, an Adenoviral vector encoding the human interferon-gamma gene, in nonhuman primates. Hum Gene Ther, 2008,19(8):827-39
51. Wang LH, Yan M, Xu DZ, Cao JX, Zhu XF, Zeng YX, Liu Q. Requirement of aurora-A kinase in astral microtubule polymerization and spindle microtubule flux. Cell Cycle. 2008, 7(8):1104-11
52. Zhang NH, Song LB, Wu XJ, Li RP, Zeng MS, Zhu XF, Wan DS, Liu Q, Zeng YX, Zhang XS.Proteasome inhibitor MG-132 modifies coxsackie and adenovirus receptor expression in colon cancer cell line lovo. Cell Cycle, 2008, 7(7):925-33
53. Li ZM, Jiang WQ, Zhu ZY, Zhu XF, Zhou JM, Liu ZC, Yang DJ, Guan ZZ. Synergistic cytotoxicity of Bcl-xL inhibitor, gossypol and chemotherapeutic agents in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cells. Cancer Biol Ther, 2007, 8;7(1): 56-60
54. Xiao X, Wu J, Zhu X, Zhao P, Zhou J, Liu QQ, Zheng L, Zeng M, Liu R, Huang W. Induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by ZD6474, an inhibitor of VEGFR tyrosine kinase with additional activity against EGFR tyrosine kinase. Int J Cancer, 2007, 121(9):2095-104.
55. Jiangxue Wu, Xia Xiao, Peng Zhao, Gang Xue, Yinghui Zhu, Xiaofeng Zhu, Limin Zheng, Yixin Zeng and Wenlin Huang. Minicircle-IFNgamma induces antiproliferative and antitumoral effects in human nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 2006, 12(15):4702-13.
56. Jin-Lin Zhou, Yu-Jing Lu, Tian-Miao Ou, Jun-Min Zhou, Zhi-Shu Huang, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Cui-Juan Du, Xian-Zhang Bu, Lin Ma, Lian-Quan Gu, Yue-Ming Li, and Albert Sun-Chi Chan. Synthesis and evaluation of quindoline derivatives as G-quadruplex inducing and stabilizing ligands and potential inhibitors of telomerase. J Med Chem, 2005, 48(23):7315-21.
57. Wenzhe Ma, Yicun Huang, LiDong Lin, Xiaofeng Zhu, Yizhu Chen, Hanhong Xu and Xiaoyi Wei. Two new biologically active illudane sesquiterpenes from the mycelial cultures of Panaeolus retirugis. J Antibiot, 2004, 57(11):721-5.
58. Ning-Ning Zhou, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Jun-Min Zhou, Zhi-Min Li, Xiao-Shi Zhang, Peng Huang, Wen-Qi Jiang. 2-Methoxyestradiol induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2004, 25(11):1515-20
59. Jun-Min Zhou, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Qi-Chao Pan, Duan-Fang Liao, Zhi-Min Li, Zong-Chao Liu. Manumycin inhibits cell proliferation and Ras signal transduction pathway in human heptocellular carcinoma cells. Int J Mol Med, 2003, 11(6):767:71
60. Jun-Min Zhou, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Qi-Chao Pan, Duan-Fang Liao, Zhi-Min Li, Zong-Chao Liu. Manumycin induced apoptosis in human heptocellular carcinoma cells. Int J Mol Med, 2003, 12(6):955-9.
61. Xiao-Shi Zhang, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Jin-Song Gao, Yan-li Ye, Qi-Sheng Feng, Zong-Chao Liu, Yi-Xin Zeng. Variable sensitivity of endothelial cells to epirubicin in xenografts of human nasopharyngeal carcinoma CNE2 cells. Cancer Biol Ther, 2002, 1(3): 263-265
62. Istvan J. Enyedy, Yan Ling, Kassoum Nacro, York Tomita, Xihan Wu, Yeyu Cao, Ribo Guo, Bihua Li, Xiaofeng Zhu, Ying Huang, Ya-Qiu Long, Peter P. Roller, Dajun Yang and Shaomeng Wang. Discovery of small-molecule inhibitors of Bcl-2 through structure-based computer screening. J Med Chem, 2001, 44(25):4313-24.
63. Terrence R. Burke Jr., Zhu-Jun Yao, Yang Gao, Jane X. Wu, Xiaofeng Zhu, Juliet H. Luo, Ribo Guo and Dajun Yang. N-terminal carboxyl and tetrazole-containing amides as adjuvants to Grb2 SH2 domain ligand binding. Bioorg Med Chem, 2001, 9(6): 1439-1445
64. Xiao-Shi Zhang, Xiao-Feng Zhu, Jin-Song Gao, Chao-Nan Qian, Zhu-Ji Kuang, Zong-Chao Liu, Yi-Xin Zeng. Multiple drug resistance phenotype of human endothelial cells induced by vascular endothelial growth factor 165. Acta Pharmacol Sin, 2001, 22 (8): 731-736
|Title||Professor and Deputy director|
Dr. Qiang Liu is the professor and deputy director of experimental research department of State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China in Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. Dr. Liu received his bachelor's degree from Nanjing University in China in 1989, his Ph.D. from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1997, and his M.D. from University of Illinois at Chicago in 2000. He completed his residency training at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York. In 2004, Dr. Liu served as Principal Investigator on research grants about Aurora-A in cell division from the National National Institutes of Health in Harvard Medical School.
He then joined the Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center as a Professor through “Hundred Talents Program” of Sun Yat-Sen University in June 2005. Dr. Liu was awarded Innovation of Science and Technology Talent of Science and Technology Ministry(PRC, 2014), Innovation Team Leaders of the Education Ministry (PRC, 2013), Outstanding Mid-Aged Expert of the Public Health Ministry (PRC, 2012),Chief Scientist of Major State Basic Research Development Program (973 program, PRC, 2012), The Second Prize of Science of China Anti-Cancer Association (PRC, 2012), Fellow of American Institution of Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE, 2012), and Key Program of National Natural Science Funds (PRC, 2011) etc. Dr. Liu has published more than 60 research papers in peer-reviewed journals including Nat Commun (2014), Autophagy (2012), J Clin Oncol (2010, cover story) etc.
Cancer stem cell, cellular differentiation, cancer cell migration, biomarker, targeted therapy
May 2000 M. D. University of Illinois at Chicago
May 1997 Ph.D. in Immunology/ Cell Biology (GPA=4.9/5.0) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
June 1989 B. S. in Physiology, Nanjing University, PRC
1. Xu Ling-Zhi, LongZi-Jie, Peng Fei, Liu Yang, Xu Jie, Wang Chang, Jiang Lei, Guo Tao, Muhammad Kamran,Li Si-Si, Wang Chun-Li, Wang Hong-Jiang, Zhao Yong-Fu, Wan Xian-Yao, Liu,Q*. Aurora Kinase A Suppresses Metabolic Stress-InducedAutophagic Cell Death by Activating mTOR Signaling in Breast Cancer Cells(accepted). Oncotarget, 2014.
2. Wang Jing, HuangYing, Guan Zhong, Zhang Jia-liang, Su Hong-kai, Zhang Wei, Yue Cai-feng, YanMin, Guan Su and Liu, Q*. E3-ligase Skp2predicts poor prognosis and maintains cancer stem cell pool in nasopharyngealcarcinoma. Oncotarget, publishedonline. 2014.
3. Yan, M., Zhang, Y., He, B.,Xiang, J., Wang, Z. F., Zheng, F. M., Xu, J., Chen, M. Y., Zhu, Y. L., Wen, H.J., Wan, X. B., Yue, C. F., Yang, N., Zhang, W., Zhang, J. L., Wang, J., Wang,Y., Li, L. H., Zeng, Y. X., Lam, E. W., Hung, M. C., Liu,Q*. IKKαrestoration via EZH2 suppressioninduces nasopharyngeal carcinoma differentiation. Nat Commun 5, 3661. 2014.
4. Zheng, F. M., Long,Z. J., Hou, Z. J., Luo, Y., Xu, L. Z., Xia, J. L., Lai, X. J., Liu, J. W.,Wang, X., Kamran, M., Yan, M., Shao, S. J., Lam, E. W., Wang, S. W., Lu, G., Liu, Q*. A Novel Small Molecule Aurora Kinase InhibitorAttenuates Breast Tumor Initiating Cells and Overcomes Drug Resistance. MolCancer Ther MCT-13-1029. 2014.
5. Chen J, Lin Q, WenJY, Li X, Ma XK, FanXJ, Cao QH, Dong M, WeiL, Chen ZH, Li XY, WangTT, LiuQ, Wan XB, XingYF, Wu XY. Prognosisvalue of mitotic kinase Aurora-A for primary duodenal adenocarcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2014 Jun 20. [Epub ahead of print].
6. Luo Y, Deng YQ, WangJ, Long ZJ, Tu ZC, Peng W, Zhang JQ, Liu Q*, Lu G. Design,synthesis and bioevaluation of N-trisubstituted pyrimidine derivatives aspotent aurora A kinase inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem. 2014 May 6;78:65-71. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech. 2014.03.027.
7. Chen JJ, Long ZJ, XuDF, Xiao RZ, Liu LL, Xu ZF, Qiu SX, Lin DJ, LiuQ*. Inhibition ofautophagy augments the anticancer activity of α-mangostin in chronic myeloidleukemia cells. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014 Mar;55(3):628-38.
8. ChenW, Guo W, Li M, ShiD, Tian Y, Li Z, WangJ, Fu L, Xiao X, Liu Q, Wang S, Huang W, Deng W.Upregulation of cleavage and polyadenylation specificfactor 4 in lung adenocarcinoma and its critical role for cancer cell survivaland proliferation. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 16;8(12):e82728.
9. Zhou W, C. Yue , DengJ, Hu R, Xu J, Feng L, Lan Q, Zhang W, Ji D, Wu J, LiuQ*, Liu A. Autophagicprotein Beclin 1 serves as an independent positive prognostic biomarker fornon-small cell lung cancer. PLoS One. 2013 Nov 15;8(11):e80338. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0080338.
10. Xu, J., Fan, W., Tu,X. X., Zhang, T., Hou, Z. J., Guo, T., Shu, X., Luo, X., Liu, Y., Peng, F.,Wang, C., Xu, L., Zhou, H., Liu, Q*. Neural gangliosideGD2(+) cells define a subpopulation of mesenchymal stem cells in adult murinebone marrow. Cell Physiol Biochem 32, 889-898. 2013.
11. Wang X, Liu Q*, Hou B, Zhang W, Yan M, Jia H, Li H, Yan D, Zheng F, Ding W, Yi C, HaiWang. Concomitant targeting of multiple key transcription factors effectivelydisrupts cancer stem cells enriched in side population of human pancreatic cancercells. PLoS One. 2013 Sep 11;8(9):e73942. doi: 10.1371/ journal.pone. 0073942.
12. Liu, L. L., Long, Z. J., Wang, L. X., Zheng, F. M., Fang, Z. G., Yan,M., Xu, D. F., Chen, J. J., Wang, S. W., Lin, D. J.,Liu, Q*. Inhibition of mTORpathway sensitizes acute myeloid leukemia cells to aurora inhibitors bysuppression of glycolytic metabolism. Mol Cancer Res 11, 1326-1336. 2013.
13. Yan M, Liu, Q*. Targeted therapy:tailoring cancer treatment. Chin J Cancer. 2013 Jul;32(7):363-4. doi: 10.5732/cjc.013.10114.
14. Xu J, Wu X, Zhou WH, Liu AW, Wu JB, Deng JY, Yue CF, Yang SB, Wang J, YuanZY, Liu, Q*. Aurora-A identifies earlyrecurrence and poor prognosis and promises a potential therapeutic target intriple negative breast cancer. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e56919.
15. Wan XB, Wei L, Li H, Dong M, Lin Q, Ma XK, Huang PY, Wen JY, Li X, Chen J, Ruan DY, Lin ZX, Chen ZH, Liu Q, Wu XY, Hong MH.Highpretreatment serum lactate dehydrogenase level correlates with disease relapseand predicts an inferior outcome in locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma.Eur J Cancer. 2013 Mar 28.
16. Dong M, Wan XB, YuanZY, Wei L, Fan XJ, Wang TT, Lv YC, Li X, Chen ZH, Chen J, Lin Q, Wen JY, Ma XK, Liu, Q*, Wu XY. Low expression of Beclin 1 and elevatedexpression of HIF-1α refine distant metastasis risk and predict poor prognosisof ER-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer. Med Oncol. 2013 Mar;30(1):355.doi: 10.1007/s12032-012-0355-0. Epub 2013 Feb 14.
17. Wu XY, Chen J, CaoQH, Dong M, Lin Q, FanXJ, Xia Q, Chen ZH, Liu Q, Wan XB. Beclin 1 activation enhanceschemosensitivity and predicts a favorable outcome for primary duodenaladenocarcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2013 Apr;34(2):713-22.doi: 10.1007/s13277-012-0599-5. Epub 2012 Dec 7.
18.Guerin M, Qian C, Zhong Q, Cui Q, Guo Y, Bei J, Shao J, Zhu X, Huang W, Wu J,Liu R, Liu Q, Wang J, Jia W, ZhengX, Zeng Y. Translational oncology toward benefitingcancer patients: the Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center experience. SciChina Life Sci. 2012 Nov 7.
19. Fan XJ, Wan XB, YangZL, Fu XH, Huang Y, ChenDK, Song SX, Liu Q, Xiao HY, WangL, Wang JP. Snail promotes lymphnode metastasis and Twist enhances tumor deposit formation throughepithelial-mesenchymal transition in colorectal cancer. Hum Pathol. 2013Feb;44(2):173-80. doi: 10.1016/j.humpath. 2012.03.029. Epub 2012 Sep 10.
20. Zou Z, Yuan Z, ZhangQ, Long Z, Chen J, Tang Z, Zhu Y, Chen S, Xu J, Yan M, Wang J, Liu, Q*. Aurora kinase A inhibition-induced autophagytriggers drug resistance in breast cancer cells. Autophagy. 2012Dec;8(12):1798-810. doi: 10.4161/auto. 22110. Epub 2012 Oct 1.
21. Wan XB, Fan XJ, HuangPY, Dong D, Zhang Y, Chen MY, Xiang J, Xu J, Liu L, Zhou WH, Lv YC, Wu XY,HongMH, Liu, Q*. Aurora-A activation, correlated withhypoxia-inducible factor-1α, promotes radiochemoresistance and predicts pooroutcome for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Sci. 2012 Aug;103(8):1586-94. doi:10.1111/j.1349-7006.2012.02332.x. Epub 2012 Jul 5.
22. Wan XB, Zhao Y, Fan XJ, Cai HM, Zhang Y, Chen MY, Xu J, Wu XY, Li HB,Zeng YX, Hong MH, Liu, Q*. Molecular prognostic predictionfor locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma by support vector machineintegrated approach. PLoS One.2012;7(3):e31989. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0031989. Epub 2012 Mar 9.
23. Zhou WH, Tang F, Xu J, Wu X, YangSB, Feng ZY, Ding YG, Wan XB, Guan Z, Li HG, Lin DJ, Shao CK, Liu, Q*. Low expression of Beclin 1, associated with high Bcl-xL, predicts amalignant phenotype and poor prognosis of gastric cancer. Autophagy. 2012Mar;8(3):389-400. doi: 10.4161/auto.18641. Epub 2012 Jan.
24. Zhou WH, Tang F, Xu J, Wu X, Feng ZY, Li HG, LinDJ, Shao CK, Liu, Q*. Aberrant upregulation of 14-3-3ơ expression serves as an inferiorprognostic biomarker for gastric cancer. BMC Cancer. 2011 Sep 20;11:397. doi: 10.1186/ 1471-2407-11-397.
25. Wang J, Han F, WuJ, Lee SW, Chan CH, WuCY, Yang WL, Gao Y, ZhangX, Jeong YS, Moten A,Samaniego F, Huang P, Liu Q, Zeng YX, LinHK. The role of Skp2 in hematopoietic stem cell quiescence, pool size,and self-renewal. Blood. 2011 Nov 17;118(20):5429-38. doi:10.1182/blood-2010-10-312785. Epub 2011 Sep 19.
26. Xu DR, Huang S, Long ZJ, Chen JJ, Zou ZZ, Li J, LinDJ, Liu, Q*. Inhibition of mitotic kinase Aurora suppresses Akt-1 activation andinduces apoptotic cell death in all-trans retinoid acid-resistant acutepromyelocytic leukemia cells. J Transl Med. 2011 May 21;9:74. doi:10.1186/1479-5876-9-74.
27. Rao J, Xu DR, Zheng FM, Long ZJ, Huang SS, Wu X,Zhou WH, Huang RW, Liu, Q*. Curcumin reduces expression ofBcl-2, leading to apoptosis in daunorubicin-insensitive CD34+ acute myeloidleukemia cell lines and primary sorted CD34+ acute myeloid leukemia cells. JTransl Med. 2011 May 19;9:71. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-9-71.
28. Xu J, Wan XB, Huang XF, Chan KC, Hong MH, WangLH, Long ZJ, Liu Q, Yan M, Lo YM, Zeng YX, Liu,Q*. Serologicantienzyme rate of Epstein-Barr virus DNase-specific neutralizing antibodysegregates TNM classification in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010Dec 10; 28(35): 5202-9. doi: 10.1200/ JCO.2009.25.6552. Epub 2010 Nov 8.
29. Wang LH, Xiang J, Yan M, Zhang Y,Zhao Y, Yue CF, Xu J, Zheng FM, Chen JN, Kang Z, Chen TS, Xing D, Liu, Q*. The mitotic kinase Aurora-Ainduces mammary cell migration and breast cancer metastasis by activating theCofilin-F-actin pathway. Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 15; 70(22): 9118-28. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472. CAN-10-1246. Epub 2010 Nov 2.
30.Wan XB, Fan XJ, ChenMY, Xiang J, Huang PY, Guo L, Wu XY, Xu J, LongZJ, Zhao Y, Zhou WH, MaiHQ, Liu Q, Hong MH. Elevated Beclin 1expression is correlated with HIF-1alpha in predicting poor prognosis ofnasopharyngeal carcinoma.Autophagy. 2010Apr;6(3):395-404. Epub 2010 Apr 26.
31. Cao JX, Cui YX, Long ZJ, Dai ZM, Lin JY, Liang Y, ZhengFM, Zeng YX, Liu, Q*. Pluripotency-associated genes inhuman nasopharyngeal carcinoma CNE-2 cells are reactivated by a uniqueepigenetic sub-microenvironment. BMC Cancer. 2010 Feb 25;10:68. doi:10.1186/1471-2407-10-68.
32.Liang Y, Zhong Z, HuangY, Deng W, Cao J, TsaoG, Liu Q, Pei D, KangT, Zeng YX. Stem-like cancercells are inducible by increasing genomic instability in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2010Feb 12;285(7):4931-40. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M109.048397. Epub 2009 Dec 9.
33.Li DD, Wang LL, Deng R, Tang J, Shen Y, Guo JF, Wang Y, Xia LP, FengGK, LiuQ, Huang WL, Zeng YX, Zhu XF. The pivotal role of c-Jun NH2-terminalkinase-mediated Beclin 1 expression during anticancer agents-induced autophagyin cancer cells. Oncogene. 2009; 28: 886-98.
34. Yao JE, Yan M, Guan Z, Pan CB, Xia LP, Li CX, WangLH, Long ZJ, Zhao Y, Li MW, Zheng FM, Xu J, Lin DJ,Liu, Q*. Aurora-Adown-regulates IkappaBalpha via Akt activation and interacts with insulin-likegrowth factor-1 induced phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase pathway for cancer cellsurvival. Mol Cancer. 2009 Nov 5;8:95. doi: 10.1186/1476-4598-8-95.
35. Wan XB, Fan XJ, Chen MY, Xu J, Long ZJ, Hua YJ, Ji H, Liu L, Hong MH,Zeng YX, Liu, Q*. Inhibition of Aurora-A results inincreased cell death in 3-dimensional culture microenvironment, reducedmigration and is associated with enhanced radiosensitivity in humannasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009 Aug;8(15):1500-6. Epub 2009Aug 8.
36. Liu JJ, Hu T, Wu XY, Wang CZ, Xu Y, Zhang Y,Xiao RZ, Lin DJ, Huang RW, Liu Q.Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist rosiglitazone- inducedapoptosis in leukemia k562 cells and its mechanisms of action. Int J Toxicol.2009; 28: 123-31.
37. Xu DZ, Geng QR, Long ZJ, Zhan YQ, Li W, Zhou ZW, ChenYB, Sun XW, Chen G, Liu Q. Positive lymph node ratiois an independent prognostic factor in gastric cancer after d2 resectionregardless of the examined number of lymph nodes.Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Feb;16(2):319-26.doi: 10.1245/s10434-008-0240-4. Epub 2008 Dec 3.
38. Lu Z, Hu X, Zhu C, Wang D, ZhengX, Liu Q. Overexpression of CNTF in Mesenchymal Stem Cellsreduces demyelination and induces clinical recovery in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitismice. J Neuroimmunol. 2009 Jan 3;206(1-2):58-69. doi:10.1016/j.jneuroim.2008.10.014. Epub 2008 Dec 9.
39. Wan XB, Long ZJ, Yan M, Xu J, Xia LP, Liu L, Zhao Y, Huang XF, WangXR, Zhu XF, Hong MH, Liu, Q*. Inhibition of Aurora-A suppressesepithelial- mesenchymal transition and invasion by downregulating MAPK innasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Carcinogenesis. 2008 Oct; 29(10):1930-7. doi:10.1093/carcin/ bgn176. Epub 2008 Jul 30.
40. Long ZJ, Xu J, Yan M, Zhang JG, Guan Z, Xu DZ, Wang XR, Yao J, ZhengFM, Chu GL, Cao JX, Zeng YX, Liu, Q*. ZM 447439 inhibition of aurorakinase induces Hep2 cancer cell apoptosis in three-dimensional culture. CellCycle. 2008 May 15;7(10):1473-9. Epub 2008 Mar 12.
41. Wang LH, Yan M, Xu DZ, Cao JX, Zhu XF, Zeng YX, Liu, Q*. Requirement of aurora-A kinase inastral microtubule polymerization and spindle microtubule flux. Cell Cycle. 2008Apr 15;7(8):1104-11. Epub 2008 Feb 11.
42. LiY, Shao JY, Liu RY, Zhou L, Chai LP, Li HL, Han HY, Huang BJ, Zeng MS, Zhu XF, Liu Q, Fu, LW, and Huang W. Evaluationof long-term toxicity of Ad/hIFN-, an Adenoviral vector encoding the humaninterferon-gamma gene, in nonhuman primates. HumGene Ther. 2008; 19: 827-39.
43. Zhang NH, Song LB, Wu XJ, Li RP, Zeng MS, Zhu XF, Wan DS, Liu Q, Zeng YX, ZhangXS. Proteasome inhibitor MG-132 modifies coxsackie and adenovirus receptorexpression in colon cancer cell line lovo. Cell Cycle. 2008; 7: 925-33.
44. Pan C, Yan M, Yao J, Xu J, Long Z, Huang H, Liu,Q*. Aurora kinase small molecule inhibitordestroys mitotic spindle, suppresses cell growth, and induces apoptosis in oralsquamous cancer cells. Oral Oncol. 2008 Jul;44(7):639-45. Epub 2007 Nov 8.
45. Gu AD, Xie YB, MoHY, Jia WH, Li MY, LiM, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Liu Q, Qian CN, Zeng YX. Antibodies against Epstein-Barr virus gp78 antigen:a novel marker for serological diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma detectedby xMAP technology. J Gen Virol. 2008 May;89(Pt 5):1152-8. doi:10.1099/vir.0.83686-0.
46. Huang XF, Luo SK, XuJ, Li J, Xu DR, WangLH, Yan M, Wang XR, WanXB, Zheng FM, Zeng YX, Liu,Q*. Aurora kinase inhibitory VX-680increases Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and induces apoptosis in Aurora-A-high acute myeloidleukemia. Blood. 2008 Mar 1;111(5):2854-65. Epub 2007 Dec 26.
47. Xiao X, Wu J, ZhuX, Zhao P, Zhou J, Liu Q, Zheng L, ZengM, Liu R, Huang W. Induction of cell cyclearrest and apoptosis in human nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells by ZD6474, aninhibitor of VEGFR tyrosine kinase with additional activity against EGFRtyrosine kinase. Int J Cancer. 2007 Nov 1;121(9):2095-104.
48. Guan Z, Wang XR, Zhu XF, Huang XF, Xu J, Wang LH, Wan XB, Long ZJ, LiuJN, Feng GK, Huang W, Zeng YX, Chen FJ, Liu,Q*. Aurora-A a negative prognosticmarker, increases migration and decreases radiosensitivity in cancer cells. CancerRes. 2007 Nov 1;67(21):10436-44.
49. Liu, Q*, Ruderman JV. Aurora A, mitotic entry, and spindle bipolarity. Proc NatlAcad Sci U S A. 2006 Apr 11;103(15):5811-6. Epub 2006 Mar 31.
50. Ma J, LiuQ, Zeng YX. Inhibition ofphosphatidylinositol 3-kinase causes apoptosis in retinoic acid differentiatedhl-60 leukemia cells. Cell Cycle. 2004; 3: 67-70.
51. Schacher DH, VanHoy RW, Liu Q, Arkins S, Dantzer R, Freund GG,Kelley KW. Developmentalexpression of insulin receptor substrate-2 during dimethylsulfoxide- induceddifferentiation of human HL-60 cells. J Immunol. 2000 Jan 1;164(1):113-20.
52. Venters HD, Tang Q, Liu Q, VanHoy RW, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. A newmechanism of neurodegeneration: a proinflammatory cytokine inhibits receptorsignaling by a survival peptide. Proc Natl AcadSci USA. 1999 Aug 17;96(17): 9879-84.
53. Burgess W, Liu Q, Zhou J, Tang Q, OzawaA, VanHoy R, Arkins S, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. Theimmune-endocrine loop during aging: role of growth hormone and insulin-likegrowth factor-I. Neuroimmunomodulation. 1999Jan-Apr;6(1-2):56-68.
54. Kelley KW, Meier WA, Minshall C, Schacher DH, Liu Q, VanHoy R, Burgess W, Dantzer R. Insulingrowth factor-I inhibits apoptosis in hematopoietic progenitor cells.Implications in thymic aging. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1998 May 1;840:518-24.
55. Li YM, Schacher DH, Liu Q, Arkins S, Rebeiz N, McCusker RH Jr, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. Regulation of myeloidgrowth and differentiation by the insulin-like growth factor I receptor. Endocrinology. 1997Jan;138(1):362-8.
56. Kelley KW, Arkins S, Minshall C, Liu Q, Dantzer R. Growth hormone, growthfactors and hematopoiesis. Horm Res. 1996;45(1-2):38-45.
57. Li YM, Arkins S, McCusker RH Jr, Donovan SM, Liu Q, Jayaraman S, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. Macrophages synthesizeand secrete a 25-kilodalton protein that binds insulin-like growth factor-I. JImmunol. 1996 Jan 1;156(1):64-72.
58. Sabharwal P, Glaser R, Lafuse W, VarmaS, Liu Q,Arkins S, Kooijman R, Kutz L, KelleyKW, MalarkeyWB. Prolactin synthesized and secreted by human peripheral bloodmononuclear cells: an autocrine growth factor for lymphoproliferation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992 Aug 15;89(16):7713-6.
59. Liu Q, VanHoy RW, Zhou JH, DantzerR, Freund GG, Kelley KW. Elevated cyclin E levels, inactive retinoblastomaprotein, and suppression of the p27(KIP1) inhibitor characterize earlydevelopment of promyeloid cells into macrophages.Mol Cell Biol. 1999 Sep;19(9):6229-39.
60. Liu Q, Ning W, DantzerR, Freund GG, Kelley KW. Activationof protein kinase C-zeta and phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase and promotion ofmacrophage differentiation by insulin-like growth factor-I. J Immunol. 1998Feb 1;160 (3):1393-401
61. Liu Q, Schacher D, Hurth C, FreundGG, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. Activation of phosphatidylinositol 3'-kinase byinsulin-like growth factor-I rescues promyeloid cells from apoptosis andpermits their differentiation into granulocytes. JImmunol. 1997 Jul 15;159(2):829-37.
62. Liu Q, Arkins S, Biragyn A, Minshall C, Parnet P, Dantzer R, Kelley KW. Competitivereverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction using a synthetic internal RNAstandard to quantitate transcripts for leukocyte-derived hormones. Neuroimmunomodulation.1994 Jan;1(1):33-41.
Last updated on: August, 2014
Dr. Song Gao is professor of structural biology in SYSUCC. Dr. Gao obtained hisBachelor degree in biotechnology at Wuhan University, 2005. He then went toEurope for graduate study and obtained Master degree in Structural proteomics atUniversity of St Andrews in UK, 2006 and Doctor degree at Max-Delbrück-Centrumfor Molecular Medicine (MDC)/ Freie Universtät Berlin, Germany, 2011. Duringhis time in Germany, Dr. Gao solved the crystal structure of the stalk of humanMxA (hsMxA), which unveils the molecular basis of oligomerization for dynaminsuperfamily (Gao et al, Nature 2010). Thereafter, he solved the full-lengthhsMxA structure showing a three-domain architecture composed of the G domain,the stalk and the bundle-signaling-element (BSE). Analysis based on thisstructure reveals the anti-viral mechanism of Mx proteins (Gao et al, Immunity2011). The methods of full-length hsMxA crystallization and structuredetermination also shed light to the achievement of long-awaited human dynamin-1crystal structure (Faelber et al, Nature 2011). Besides, Dr. Gao has solvedhigh resolution structure of a class I major histocompatibility complex (MHC)YF1*7.1 from chicken. Investigation on the structure suggested that an unusual“non-classical” ligand was present at the binding groove of this “classical”class I MHC. This result elucidated the question that how chicken can deal withdiverse pathogens with relatively “simple” MHC systems. In 2012, Dr. Gao hasbeen selected by The National “Recruitment Program of Global youth Experts” andmoved to SYSUCC to start his own research group. By now, Dr. Gao has established a state-of-the-art platform of crystallography and his study isfocused on the structural insights into proteins involved in human diseases andimmunity.
|Phone||0086 20 87343168|
2. Structural study on dynamin superfamilymembers of membrane-associated large GTPases
2005.9~2006.9:MRes in Structural Proteomics, School of Biology, University of St Andrews, UK.
2001.9~2005.7: BSc inBiotechnology in College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, P. R. China.
1. GaoQ, Zhao YJ, Wang XY, Guo WJ, Gao S, Wei L, Shi JY, Shi GM, Wang ZC, Zhang YN,Shi YH, Ding J, Ding ZB, Ke AW, Dai Z, Wu FZ, Wang H, Qiu ZP, Chen ZA, ZhangZF, Qiu SJ, Zhou J, He XH, Fan J. Activating mutations in PTPN3 promotecholangiocarcinoma cell proliferation and migration and are associated withtumor recurrence in patients. Gastroenterology.(2014) 146(5):1397-1407.
2. FaelberK, Gao S, Held M, Posor Y, Haucke V, Noé F, Daumke O. Oligomerization ofdynamin superfamily proteins in health and disease. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. (2013) 117:411-443.
3.Faelber K, Held M, Gao S, Posor Y, Haucke V, Noé F, Daumke O. Structuralinsights into dynamin-mediated membrane fission. Structure (2012) 20(10):1621–1628
4.Gao S*§, von der Malsburg A*, Dick A, Faelber K, Schröder GF, Haller O, Kochs G,Daumke O§. (*Equal contribution, §Corresponding author) Structure of the interferon-inducedMxA GTPase sheds light on the domain interplay during the antiviral function. Immunity (2011) 35(4):514–525
5.Faelber K, Posor, Y*, Gao S*, Held M*, Roske Y*, Schulze D, Haucke V, Noé F, DaumkeO. (*Equal contribution) Crystal structure of nucleotide-free dynamin. Nature (2011) 477(7366):556–560
6.Gao S, von der Malsburg A, Paeschke S, Behlke J, Haller O, Kochs G, Daumke O. Structuralbasis of oligomerization in the stalk region of dynamin-like MxA. Nature (2010) 465(7297):502-506
7.Hee CS*, Gao S*, Loll B, Miller MM, Uchanska-Ziegler B, Daumke O, Ziegler A.(*Equal contribution) Structure of a classical MHC class I molecule that binds"non-classical" ligands. PLoSBiol. (2010) 8(12):e1000557
8.Haller O, Gao S, von der Malsburg A, Daumke O, Kochs G. Dynamin-like MxA GTPase: Structural insightsinto oligomerization and implications for antiviral activity. J Biol.Chem. (2010) 285(37):28419-28424
9.Daumke O, Gao S, von der Malsburg A, Haller O, Kochs G. Structure of the MxAstalk elucidates the assembly of ring-like units of an antiviral module. Small GTPases. (2010) 1(1):62-64
10.Hee CS*, Gao S*, Miller MM, Goto RM, Ziegler A, Daumke O, Uchanska-Ziegler B.(*Equal contribution) Expression, purification and preliminary X-ray crystallographicanalysis of the chicken MHC class I molecule YF1*7.1. Acta Crystallogr Sect F Struct Biol Cryst Commun. (2009) 65(Pt4):422-425
|Title||Professor and doctoral advisor|
Prof. Jia Weihua has long been devoted to research on cancer genetics and genomics, and cancer molecular epidemiology, achieving breakthroughs in etiology of cancer, especially interactive effects among EB virus, genetics and environment in nasopharynx carcinoma, and international frontier of susceptible gene of cancer.
Her major achievements include: 1. revealed the epidemic dynamics of nasopharynx carcinoma in high-incidence area, illustrated the status quo and trend in the past 20 years of exposure of high-level risk factors. Her research rewrites the history of lack of scientific data of high-incidence area in China, which provides scientific basis for national public health decisions and worldwide cancer statistics. 2. revealed a new carcinogenic mechanism where EB virus is activated by smoking for nasopharynx carcinoma, open up a door to searching new environmental activator and realizing prevention and control of nasopharynx carcinoma. 3. Discovered new susceptible gene of nasopharynx carcinoma, including DNA repair gene, metabolism gene for exogenous compounds, immune response gene series. The researches provided important biological marker for identification of high-risk subpopulation of nasopharynx carcinoma and prediction about onset risk for individuals. 4. established predictive model for onset risk of nasopharynx carcinoma, further indicating with a mathematic model that etiologic contribution of genetics and environment shall be considered as a whole in risk prediction. 5. reported for the first time on the new susceptible gene of colorectal cancer, lymphoma and nasopharynx carcinoma.
She has published more than 90 SCI papers in world renown journals such as Nature Genetic, JNCI and Cancer Res. She was awarded the second class of National Natural Science Award, the first class of Chinese Medical Science and Technology Award, the first class of Guangdong Science and Technology Award and Natural Science Award of Ministry of Education. In 2013, she was awarded National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars.
1. malignant tumors genetics and genomics
2. cancer molecular epidemiology
09/1995-07/1998 Graduated from Peking Union Medical College and was conferred upon the degree of Doctor of Epidemiology
09/1992-07/1995 Graduated from Peking Union Medical College and was conferred upon the degree of Master of Epidemiology
09/1987-07/1992 Graduated from Shanxi Medical University and was conferred upon the degree of Bachelor of Medicine
1. Tan DE, Foo JN, Bei JX, Chang J, Peng R, Zheng X, Wei L, Huang Y, Lim WY, Li J, Cui Q, Chew SH, Ebstein RP, Kuperan P, Lim ST, Tao M, Tan SH, Wong A, Wong GC, Tan SY, Ng SB, Zeng YX, Khor CC, Lin D*, Seow AL*, Jia WH*, Liu J*. Genome-wide association study of B cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma identifies 3q27 as a susceptibility locus in the Chinese population. Nat Genet. 2013 Jun 9;45(7):804-7.
2. Jia WH, Zhang B, Matsuo K, Shin A, Xiang YB, Jee SH, Kim DH, Ren Z, Cai Q, Long J, Shi J, Wen W, Yang G, Delahanty RJ; Genetics and Epidemiology of Colorectal Cancer Consortium (GECCO); Colon Cancer Family Registry (CCFR), Ji BT, Pan ZZ, Matsuda F, Gao YT, Oh JH, Ahn YO, Park EJ, Li HL, Park JW, Jo J, Jeong JY, Hosono S, Casey G, Peters U, Shu XO, Zeng YX, Zheng W. Genome-wide association analyses in east Asians identify new susceptibility loci for colorectal cancer. Nat Genet. 2013, 45(2):191-6.
3. Xu FH, Xiong D，Xu YF, Cao SM, Xue WQ, Qin HD, Liu WS, Cao JY, Zhang Y, Feng QS, Chen LZ, Li MZ, Liu ZW, Liu Q, Hong MH, Shugart YY, Zeng YX , Zeng MS*, Jia WH*. An epidemiological and molecular study of the relationship between smoking, risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma, and epstein-barr virus activation. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012 Sep 19;104(18):1396-410.
4. Qin HD, Shugart YY, Bei JX, Pan QH, Chen L, Feng QS, Chen LZ, Huang W, Liu JJ, Jorgensen TJ, Zeng YX, Jia WH*. Comprehensive pathway-based association study of DNA repair gene variants and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2011, 71(8):3000-8.
5. Jia WH*, Qin HD. Non-viral environmental risk factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A systematic review. Semin Cancer Biol. 2012 Apr;22(2):117-26.
6. Shen GP, Pan QH, Hong MH, Qin HD, Xu YF, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Jorgensen TJ, Shugart YY, Zeng YX, Jia WH*. Human genetic variants of homologous recombination repair genes first found to be associated with Epstein-Barr virus antibody titers in healthy Cantonese. Int J Cancer. 2011 Sep 15;129(6):1459-66.
7. Jia WH*, Pan QH, Qin HD, Xu YF, Shen GP, Chen L, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Hong MH, Zeng YX, Shugart YY. A case-control and a family-based association study revealing an association between CYP2E1 polymorphisms and nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk in Cantonese. Carcinogenesis. 2009 Dec;30(12):2031-6.
8. Jia WH, Feng BJ, Xu ZL, Zhang XS, Huang P, Huang LX, Yu XJ, Feng QS, Yao MH, Shugart YY, Zeng YX. Familial risk and clustering of nasopharyngeal carcinoma（NPC）in Guangdong, China. Cancer. 2004 Jul 15;101:363-9.
9. Xue WQ, Qin HD, Ruan HL, Shugart YY, Jia WH*.Quantitative association of tobacco smoking with the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A comprehensive meta-analysis of studies conducted between 1979-2011. Am J Epidemiol 2013 Aug 1;178(3):325-38.
10. Zhou XX, Jia WH（both as lead authors）, Shen GP, Qin HD, Yu XJ, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Shugart YY, Zeng YX. Sequence variants in toll-like receptor 10 are associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk. Cancer Epid Biomark Prev. 2006 May;15(5):862-6.
11. Jia WH, Collins A, Zeng YX, Feng BJ, Yu XJ, Huang LX, Feng QS, Huang P, Yao MH, Shugart YY. Complex segregation analysis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Guangdong, China: evidence for a multifactorial mode of inheritance. Eur J Hum Genet. 2005 Feb;13:248-52.
12. Li Y, Wen ZS, Yang HX, Luo RZ, Zhang Y, Zhang MF, Wang X*, Jia WH*. High expression of Y-Box-Binding protein-1 is associated with poor survival in resectable esophageal squamous Cell carcinoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Nov;18(12):3370-6.
13. Ruan HL, Qin HD, Shugart YY, Bei JX, Luo FT, Zeng YX*, Jia WH*. Developing genetic epidemiological models to predict risk for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in high-risk population of China. PLoS One. 2013; 8(2): e56128. doi: 10.1371/ journal.pone. 0056128.
14. Shen GP, Xu FH, He F, Ruan HL, Cui C, Chen LZ, Zeng YX, Jia WH*. Pretreatment lifestyle behaviors as survival predictors for patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36515.
15. Ge XS, Ma HJ, Zheng XH, Ruan HL, Liao XY, Xue WQ, Chen YB, Zhang Y, Jia WH. HOTAIR, a prognostic factor in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, inhibits WIF-1 expression and activates Wnt pathway. Cancer Sci 2013 Dec;104(12):1675-82.
16. Li Y, Yang HX, Luo RZ, Zhang Y, Li M, Wang X*, Jia WH*. High expression of p300 has an unfavorable impact on survival in resectable esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011, 91(5):1531-8.
17. He JF, Jia WH*, Fan Q, Zhou XX, Qin HD, Shugart YY, Zeng YX. Genetic polymorphisms of TLR3 are associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk in Cantonese population. BMC Cancer. 2007 Oct 17;7:194.
18. Jia WH, Huang QH, Liao J, Ye W, Shugart YY, Liu Q, Chen LZ, Li YH, Lin X, Wen FL, Adami HO, Zeng Y, Zeng YX. Trends in incidence and mortality of nasopharyngeal carcinoma over a 20-25 year period (1978/1983-2002) in Sihui and Cangwu counties in southern China. BMC Cancer. 2006 Jul 6;6:178.
19. Jia WH*, Luo XY, Feng BJ, Ruan HL, Bei JX, Liu WS, Qin HD, Feng QS, Chen LZ, Yao SY, Zeng YX. Traditional Cantonese diet and nasopharyngeal carcinoma risk: a large-scale case-control study in Guangdong, China. BMC Cancer. 2010 Aug 20;10:446.
20. He JR, Qin H, Ren ZF*, Cui C, Zhang Y, Ranatunga D, Zeng YX, Jia WH*. MMP-9 expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and the association with clinicopathological features and prognosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2011, 49(4):705-10.
21. Wu C, Li D, Jia W, Hu Z, Zhou Y, Yu D, Tong T, Wang M, Lin D, Qiao Y, Zhou Y, Chang J, Zhai K, Wang M, Wei L, Tan W, Shen H,Zeng Y, Lin D. Genome-wide association study identifies common variants in SLC39A6 associated withlength of survival in esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma. Nat Genet. 2013 Jun;45(6):632-8. doi: 10.1038/ng.2638.
22. Wu C, Hu Z, He Z, Jia W, Wang F, Zhou Y, Liu Z, Zhan Q, Liu Y, Yu D, Zhai K, Chang J, Qiao Y, Jin G, Liu Z, Shen Y，Guo C, Fu J, Miao X, Tan W, Shen H，Ke Y, Zeng Y, Wu T & Lin D. Genome-wide association study identifies three new susceptibility loci for esophageal squamous-cell carcinoma in Chinese populations. Nat Genet. 2011 Jun 5;43(7):679-84.
23. Bei JX, Li Y, Jia WH, Feng BJ, Zhou G, Chen LZ, Feng QS, Low HQ, Zhang H, He F, Tai ES, Kang T, Liu ET, Liu J, Zeng YX. A genome-wide association study of nasopharyngeal carcinoma identifies three new susceptibility loci. Nat Genet. 2010 Jul, 42(7):599-603.
24. Zhang H, Zhai Y, Hu Z, Wu C, Qian J, Jia W, Ma F, Huang W, Yu L, Yue W, Wang Z, Li P, Zhang Y, Liang R, Wei Z, Cui Y, Xie W, Cai M, Yu X, Yuan Y, Xia X, Zhang X, Yang H, Qiu W, Yang J, Gong F, Chen M, Shen H, Lin D, Zeng YX, He F, Zhou G. Genome-wide association study identifies 1p36.22 as a new susceptibility locus for hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B virus carriers. Nat Genet. 2010, 42(9):755-8.
25. Wu C, Kraft P, Zhai K, Chang J, Wang Z, Li Y, Hu Z, He Z, Jia W, Abnet CC, Liang L, Hu N, Miao X, Zhou Y, Liu Z, Zhan Q, Liu Y,Qiao Y, Zhou Y, Jin G, Guo C, Lu C, Yang H, Fu J, Yu D, Freedman ND, Ding T, Tan W, Goldstein AM, Wu T, Shen H, Ke Y, Zeng Y,Chanock SJ, Taylor PR, Lin D. Genome-wide association analyses of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Chinese identify multiple susceptibility loci and gene-environment interactions. Nat Genet. 2012 Oct;44(10):1090-7.
26. Feng BJ, Huang W, Shugart YY, Lee MK, Zhang F, Xia JC, Wang HY, Huang TB, Jian SW, Huang P, Feng QS, Huang LX, Yu XJ, Li D, Chen LZ, Jia WH, Fang Y, Huang HM, Zhu JL, Liu XM, Zhao Y, Liu WQ, Deng MQ, Hu WH, Wu SX, Mo HY, Hong MF, King MC, Chen Z, Zeng YX. Genome-wide scan for familial nasopharyngeal carcinoma reveals evidence of linkage to chromosome 4. Nat Genet. 2002 Aug;31(4):395-9.
Last updated on: 2013
Prof. Xiaofeng Zheng is a specially appointed professor at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. Prof. Zheng received his Ph.D. of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology at Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA, in 1993, and his postdoctoral training at Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at Harvard University. He is a pioneer in mTOR signaling and an expert in nutrient signaling, cancer growth and metabolism, and targeted therapy. He has been a professor at the Department of Pharmacology and Co-Director of Program in Cancer Pharmacology and Preclinical Therapeutics of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey. Prof. Zheng has published many papers as first or corresponding author in top peer-reviewed journals including Nature, Cell, PNAS, EMBO, Curr Biol, and Nature Communications.
|Research Interest(s)||Cancer Biology, Metabolic Stress, Nutrient Signaling, Targeted Therapy|
1997 Postdoc in Chemical Biology (Advisor, Stuart L. Schreiber), Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
1993 Ph.D. in Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology (Advisor, Joan V Ruderman), Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
1985 B.S. in Chemistry and Biochemistry, Jilin University, Changchun, China
1. Zheng, X.F., Podell, S., Sefton B.M. and Kaplan, P.L. The Sequence of Chicken c-Yes and p61c-yes. Oncogene 1989; 4: 99-104
2. Zheng, X.F. and Ruderman, J.V. Functional Analysis of P-box, a Domain Required for the Activation of Cdc25. Cell 1993; 75: 155-164
3. Zheng, X.F., Fiorentino, D., Chen, J., Crabtree, G.R. and Schreiber, S.L. TOR Kinase Domains are Required for Two Distinct Functions, Only One of Which is Inhibited by Rapamycin. Cell 1995; 82: 121-130
4. Chen, J., Zheng, X.F., Brown, E. and Schreiber, S.L. Identification of an 11 Kda FKBP12-Rapamycin-Binding Domain within the 289 Kda FKBP-Rapamycin-Associated Protein and Characterization of a Critical Serine Residue. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1995; 92: 4947-4951
5. Zheng, X.F. and Schreiber, S.L. Targets of Rapamycin Proteins and Their Kinase Activities are Required for Meiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1997; 94: 3070-5
6. Bertram, P.G., Zeng, C.B., Thorson, J., Shaw, A.S. and Zheng, X.F. 14-3-3 Proteins Positively Regulate Rapamycin-sensitive Signaling. Current Biology 1998; 8: 1259-67
7. Chan, T.F., Carvalho, J., Riles, L. and Zheng, X.F. A Chemical Genomics Approach towards Understanding the Global Functions of TOR. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2000; 97: 13227-13232
8. Bertram, P.G., Choi, J.H., Carvalho, J., Ai, W.D., Zeng, C.B., Chan, T.F. and Zheng, X.F. Tripartite Regulation of Gln3p by TOR, Ure2p and Phosphatases. J Biol Chem 2000; 275: 35727-35733
9. Choi, J., Adames, N.R., Chan, T.F., Zeng, C.B., Cooper, J.A. and Zheng, X.F. TOR Signaling Regulates Microtubule Stability and Functions. Current Biology 2000; 10: 861-4
10. Carvalho, J., Bertram, P.G., Wente, S.R. and Zheng, X.F. Phosphorylation Regulates the Interaction between Gln3p and the Nuclear Import Factor Srp1p. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 25359-65
11. Carvalho, J, Bertram, P.G. and Zheng, X.F. On the Mechanism of Regulated Nucleocytoplasmic Transport of Gln3. Yeast 2001; 18: S176
12. Chan, T.F., Bertram, P.G., Ai, W.D. and Zheng, X.F. Regulation of APG14 by the GATA-type Transcription Factor Gln3p. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 6463-6467
13. Ai, W.D., Bertram, P.B., Tsang, C.K, Chan, T.F. and Zheng, X.F. Regulation of Subtelomeric Silencing during Stress Response, Molecular Cell 2002; 10: 1295-1305
14. Choi, J.H., Bertram, P.G., Drenan, R., Carvalho, J., Zhou, H. and Zheng, X.F. FKBP12-Rapamycin-Associated Protein (FRAP) Is A CLIP-170 Kinase, The EMBO Reports 2002; 3: 988-994
15. Bertram, P.G., Choi, J.H., Carvalho, J., Chan, T.F. and Zheng, X.F. Convergence of TOR-Nitrogen and Snf1-Glucose Signaling Pathways onto Gln3, Mol Cell Biol 2002; 22: 1246-1252
16. Chan, T.F. and Zheng, X.F. Probes for Chemical Genomics by Design, Drug Discovery Today 2002; 7: 802-803
17. Zheng, X.F. and Chan, T.F. Chemical Genomics in the Global Study of Protein Functions, Drug Discovery Today 2002; 7 (3): 197-20518. Zheng, X.F. and Chan, T.F. Chemical Genomics: A Systematic Approach in Biological Research and Drug Discovery, Curr Iss Mol Biol 2002; 4: 33-43
19. Carvalho, J. and Zheng, X.F. Domains of Gln3p Interacting with Karyopherins, Ure2p and Target of Rapamycin (TOR), J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 16878-16886
20. Tsang, C.K., Bertram, P.G., Ai, W.D., Drenan, R. and Zheng, X.F. Chromatin-mediated Regulation of Nucleolar Structure and RNA Polymerase I Localization by TOR, The EMBO J 2003; 22: 6045-6056
21. Xu, G., Zhang, L.H., Zhao, T., Bertram, P.B., Zheng, X.F. and McLeod, H. Pharmacogenomic Profiling of the PI3K/PTEN-AKT-mTOR Pathway in Common Human Tumors, Int. J Oncol. 2004; 24: 893
22. Drenan, R., Liu, X.Y., Bertram, P.G. and Zheng, X.F. FKBP12-Rapamycin-associated Protein or Mammalian Target of Rapamycin (FRAP/mTOR) Localization in the Endoplasmic Reticulum and the Golgi Apparatus, J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 772-778
23. Zheng, X.F., Chan, T.F. and Zhou, H. Genomic and Genetic Approaches Toward Identification and Study of the Targets of Small Bioactive Molecules, Chemistry and Biology 2004; 11: 609-18
24. Tsang, C.K. and Zheng, X.F. Control of Ribosome Biogenesis by Target of Rapamycin (TOR), Recent Res. Dev. Mol Cell Biol 2004; 5: 135
25. Li, H., Tsang, C.K., Watkins, M., Bertram, P.G. and Zheng, X.F. Nutrient Regulates Tor1 Nuclear Localization and Association with rDNA Promoter, Nature 2006; 442, 1058-1061
26. Tsang, C.K. Qi, H.Y. Liu, L.F. Zheng, X.F. Targeting mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) for health and diseases, Drug Discovery Today 2007; 12: 112-124
27. Tsang, C.K. We, Y.H. and Zheng, X.F. Compacting DNA during the interphase: condensin maintains rDNA integrity, Cell Cycle 2007; 6, 2210-2218
28. Tsang, C.K., Li, H. and Zheng, X.F. Nutrient Starvation Promotes Condensin Loading to Maintain rDNA Stability, The EMBO Journal 2007; 26: 448-458. PMCID: PMC17203076
29. Qi, H.Y., Chen, Y.J., Fu, X., Lin, C.P., Zheng, X.F. and Liu, L.F. TOR Regulates Cell Death Induced by Telomere Dysfunction in Budding Yeast, PLoS ONE 2008; 3 (10): e3520
30. Wei, Y.H., Tsang, C.K., and Zheng, X.F. Regulatory Mechanisms of Pol III-dependent Transcription by TORC1, The EMBO Journal, 2009; 28: 2220-2230
31. Wei, Y.H. and Zheng, X.F. TORC1 association with rDNA chromatin as a mechanism to co-regulate Pol I and Pol III, Cell Cycle, 2009; 8 (23): 3802 – 3803.
32. Tsang, C.K., and Zheng, X.F. Opposing role of condensin and radiation sensitive gene RAD52 in ribosomal DNA (rDNA) stability regulation, J Biol Chem, 2009; 284:21908-19
33. Tsang, C.K. and Zheng, X.F. Less TORC is more: therapeutic extension of mammalian lifespan, Cell Science 2009, Vol 2, No 6
34. Wei, Y.H. and Zheng, X.F. Sch9 partially mediates TORC1 signaling to regulate ribosomal RNA synthesis, Cell Cycle 2009, 8 (24): 4085 - 4090
35. Wei, Y.H. and Zheng, X.F. Maf1 as a model for nuclear signaling, The Nucleus, 2010; 1, 162-165
36. Tsang, C.K., Liu, H. and Zheng, X.F. mTOR binds to the promoters of RNA polymerase I and III-transcribed genes, CELL CYCLE 2010; 9, 953-957
37. Arachchige Don, A.S., and Zheng, X.F. Recent clinical trials with mTOR targeted therapy, Current Clinical Trials, 2011; 6; 24-35
38. Zhang, YJ, Duang, YW and Zheng, X.F. Targeting the mTOR kinase domain: the second generation of mTOR inhibitors, Drug Discovery Today 2011; 16, 325-331
39. Wei, Y.H. and Zheng, X.F. Nutrient Control of Cell Growth via TOR Signaling in Yeast, Yeast Systems Biology: Methods and Protocols, 2012
40. Zhang, Y.J. and Zheng, X.F. mTOR-independent 4E-BP1 phosphorylation is associated with cancer resistance to mTOR kinase inhibitors. Cell Cycle, 2012; 11: 594 – 603.
41. Arachchige Don, A.S., D'Arcangelo, G., Tsang, CK, Young, W and Zheng, X.F. Targeting mTOR as a novel therapeutic strategy for traumatic CNS injuries, Drug Discovery Today, 2012; 17: 861-868.
42. Huang GL, Li BK, Zhang MY, Wei RR, Yuan YF, Shi M, Chen XQ, Huang L, Zhang HZ, Liu W, Huang BJ, Li H, Zheng XF, Luo XR, Wang HY. Allele loss and down-regulation of heparanase gene are associated with the progression and poor prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE, 2012; 7: e44061.
43. Zheng, X.F. Chemoprevention of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) with rapamycin. Aging, 2012; 4: 375-376.
44. Wei, RR, Huang, GL, Zhang, MY, Li, BK, Zhang, HZ, Shi, M, Chen, XQ, Huang, L, Zhou, QM, Jia, WH, Zheng, XF , Yuan, YF, and Wang. HY. Clinical significance and prognostic value of microRNA expression signatures in hepatocellular carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research 2013; 19(17):4780-4791
45. Tsang, C.K., Liu, Y., Thomas, J., Zhang, Y., and Zheng, X.F. Superoxide dismutase 1 acts as a nuclear transcription factor to regulate oxidative stress resistance. Nat Commun 2014; 5: 3446.
Last updated on: July, 2014
|Title||Professor, Director of Lab. of Bionomics and Tumor Marker|
Dr. Hui-Yun Wang is a professor in Basic Oncology and Director of Laboratory of Bionomics and Tumor Marker, State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. He obtained his Bachelor in Medicine (equivalent to MD in the US) at Hengyang Medical College in 1982, and PhD at Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences (SUMS), China, in 1997, when he was appointed as Vice Director of Department of Tumor Pathology, Cancer Institute, SUMS. In 1990’s, he proposed and implemented the project "Locating and Cloning of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Susceptibility Gene", which result was published in Nature Genetics (2002). Then, he got his postdoctoral training at the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in 2000 – 2003, and then he was promoted to Adjunct Assistant Professor. During the period, he developed a novel microarray technology consisting of over 1000 multiplex PCR and single-base extension assay, which can genotype SNPs from one single sperm and profile gene expression on one single cell, which was published in Genome Research (2005). In Match 2007, he returned to the Sun Yat-Sen University as a professor of the “Hundred Talent Plan”. Since then, he developed various microarrays, including SNP array, microRNA array, gene array, lncRNA array and protein array. With these microarrays, he explored several kinds of tumors including hepatocellular carcinoma (Clin Cancer Res, 2013) and nasopharyngeal carcinoma (Lancet Oncology, 2012). Dr. Wang has published more than 70 research papers.
1) Molecular Cancer Genetics: With high-throughput methods, Prof. Wang study the effects of alterations of molecular genetics in cancer, including loss of heterozygosity, DNA copy number change and DNA mutation, on cancer development and progression, and identify oncogenes and tumor suppressors, which are significantly associated with diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of cancer patients.
2) Cancer epigenetics: With the custom miRNA and lncRNA microarrays, Prof. Wang have profiled or have been profiling miRNA and lncRNA expressions in cancer and identify the expression signatures associated with diagnosis, therapeutic response and prognosis of cancer patients. He also studies the biological functions and targets of key miRNAs as well as molecular mechanism of lncRNAs in carcinogenesis.
3) Tumor Serum marker: With the custom miRNA, lncRNA and EBV protein microarrays, Prof. Wang detects serum miRNA, lncRNA and anti-EBV antibody levels in cancer patients and identify the serum biomarkers for diagnosis, therapeutic response, recurrence, metastasis and prognosis in cancer patients, which will provide new and non-invasive approaches for clinical practice.
1978.03–1982.12: Bachelor in Medicine (equivalent to MD), Hengyang Medical College, Hunan Province, China.
1987.09–1990.06: Master of Science in Basic Oncology, Graduate School, SUMS, Guangzhou, China
1993.09–1997.11: Ph.D. in Basic Oncology, Graduate School, SUMS, Guangzhou, China
2000.02–2002.09: Postdoctoral Follow, the Cancer Institute of New Jersey/Dept. of Molecular Genetics & Microbiology, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, UMDNJ, New Jersey, USA.
1. Zheng HQ, Sheng MH, Cha YL, Li WY,Blanco MA, Ren GG, Zhou TH, Storz P, Wang HY, Kang YB. PKD1phosphorylation-dependent degradation of SNAIL by SCF-FBXO11 regulatesepithelial-mesenchymal transition and metastasis. Cancer Cell, 2014 (inpress).
2. PengHS, Liao MB, Zhang MY, Xie Y, Xu L, Zhang YJ, Zheng XF, Wang HY (co-corresponding), Chen YF. Synergistic inhibitoryeffect of hyperbaric oxygen combined with sorafenib on hepatoma cells. PLoSOne. 2014 Jun 23; 9(6): e100814.
3. HeL, Wang HY (co-corresponding), Zhang L, Huang L, Li JD, Xiong Y,Zhang MY, Jia WH, Yun JP, Luo RZ, Zheng M. Prognostic significance of low DICERexpression regulated by miR-130a in cervical cancer. Cell Death Dis. 2014 May1; 5:e1205.
4. XieY, Wei RR, Huang GL, Zhang MY, Yuan YF, WangHY. Checkpoint kinase 1 is negatively regulated by miR-497 inhepatocellular carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2014 Mar; 31(3):844. Epub2014 Jan 25.
5. ZhangJX, Song W, Chen ZH, Wei JH, Liao YJ, Lei J, Hu M, Chen GZ, Liao B, Lu J, ZhaoHW, Chen W, He YL, Wang HY,Xie D, Luo JH. Prognostic and predictive value of a microRNA signature in stageII colon cancer: a microRNA expression analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2013 Dec; 14(13):1295-306.[Epub 2013 Nov 12]
6. YangQ, Luo GY, Li Y, Shan HB, Wang HY (co-corresponding), Xu GL. Expression of Rac-1 relatedto tumor depth, lymph node metastasis and patient prognosis in esophagealsquamous cell carcinoma. Med Oncol. 2013 Dec; 30(4):689. Epub2013 Sep 12.
7. HuangL, Wang HY, Li JD, Wang JH,Zhou Y, Luo RZ, Yun JP, Zhang Y, Jia WH, Zheng M. KPNA2 promotes cellproliferation and tumorigenicity in epithelial ovarian carcinoma throughupregulation of c-Myc and downregulation of FOXO3a. Cell Death Dis. 2013 Aug1;4: e745.
8. WeiR, Huang GL, Zhang MY, Li BK, Zhang HZ, Shi M, Chen XQ, Huang L, Zhou QM, JiaWH, Zheng XF, Yuan YF, Wang HY.Clinical significance and prognostic value of microRNA expression signatures inhepatocellular carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 2013 Sep1;19(17):4780-4791. Epub 2013 Jun 28.
9. LeiR, Tang J, Zhuang X, Deng R, Li G, Yu J, Liang Y, Xiao J, Wang HY, Yang Q, Hu G. Suppression of MIM by microRNA-182activates RhoA and promotes breast cancer metastasis. Oncogene. 2013 Mar 11.[Epub ahead of print].
10. YangS, Wang H, Guo Y, Chen S, Zhang MY, Shen J, Yu H, Miao J, Wang HY (co-corresponding), Wei W. RMP Plays Distinct Roles in theProliferation of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Cells and Normal Hepatic Cells. Int JBiol Sci. 2013 Jul 5;9(6):637-48.
11. ZhangN, Wang X, Huo Q, Li X, Wang H,Schneider P, Hu G, Yang Q. The oncogene metadherin modulates the apoptoticpathway based on the tumor necrosis factor superfamily member TRAIL in breastcancer. J Biol Chem. 2013, 288(13):9396-407. Epub 2013 Feb 13.
12. LiuN, Cui RX, He QM, Huang BJ, Sun Y, Xie D, Zeng J, Wang HY (co-corresponding), Ma J. Reduced expression ofDicer11 is associated with poor prognosis in patients with nasopharyngealcarcinoma. Med Oncol. 2013 Mar; 30(1):360. doi: 10.1007/s12032-012-0360-3.Epub 2013 Jan 10.
13. LiuN, Tang LL, Sun Y, Cui RX, Wang HY, HuangBJ, He QM, Jiang W, Ma J. MiR-29c suppresses invasion and metastasis bytargeting TIAM1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Lett. 2013 Feb 28;329(2):181-188. doi: 10.1016/j.canlet.2012.10.032. Epub 2012 Nov 8.
14. LiPD, Zhang WJ, Zhang MY, Yuan LJ, Cha YL, Ying XF, Wu G, Wang HY. Overexpression of RPS6KB1 predicts worse prognosisin primary HCC patients. Med Oncol. 2012 Dec;29(5):3070-6. 2012 Jun 10 [Epub ahead of print].
15. Rui-XueCui, Na Liu, Qing-Mei He, Wen-Fei Li, Bi-Jun Huang, Ying Sun, Ling-Long Tang,Mo Chen, Ning Jiang, Lei Chen, Jing-Ping Yun, Jing Zeng, Ying Guo, Hui-Yun Wang (co-corresponding), Jun Ma. Low BRMS1 expressionpromotes nasopharyngeal carcinoma metastasis in vitro and in vivo and isassociated with poor patient survival. BMC Cancer, 2012 Aug 29;12(1):376.doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-12-376.
16. Guo-LiangHuang, Bin-Kui Li, Mei-Yin Zhang, Rong-Rong Wei, Yun-Fei Yuan, Ming Shi,Xiao-Qian Chen, Long Huang, Hui-Zhong Zhang, Wanqing Liu, Bi-Jun Huang, HonghuaLi, Xiao-Feng Zheng, Xian-Rong Luo, Hui-YunWang . Allele loss and down-regulation of heparanase gene areassociated with progression and poor prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma. PlosOne, 2012;7(8):e44061. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0044061. Epub 2012 Aug 31.
17. Shajo Kunnath-Velayudhan, AmyL. Davidow, Hui-Yun Wang,Douglas M. Molina, Vu T. Huynh, Hugh Salamon, Richard Pine, Gerd Michel, MarkD. Perkins, Liang Xiaowu, Philip L. Felgner, JoAnne L. Flynn, AntoninoCatanzaro, Maria L. Gennaro. Proteome-ScaleAntibody Responses and Outcome of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection inNonhuman Primates and in Tuberculosis Patients. J Infect Dis. 2012Sep;206(5):697-705.
18. Na Liu, Nian-Yong Chen, Rui-XueCui, Wen-Fei Li, Yan Li,Rong-Rong Wei, Mei-Ying Zhang, Bi-JunHuang, M.S., Ying Sun, Ling-Long Tang, Mo Chen, Guang-Qun Zhou,Qing-Mei He, Ning Jiang, Lei Chen, Jing-Ping Yun, Jing Zen, Li-Zhi Liu, Li Li, Ying Guo, Hui-Yun Wang (co-corresponding) and Jun Ma. Prognosticvalue of a microRNA signature in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a microRNAexpression analysis. Lancet Oncology, 2012, Jun; 13(6):633-41. Epub2012 May 3.
19. LongHuang, Jia-Xin Lin, Yan-Hong Yu, Mei-Yin Zhang, Hui-Yun Wang (co-corresponding), Min Zheng. Downregulation of Six MicroRNAs IsAssociated with Advanced Stage, Lymph Node Metastasis and Poor Prognosis inSmall Cell Carcinoma of the Cervix. PLoS ONE, 2012;7(3):e33762. Epub2012 Mar 16.
20. YiC, Wang Q, Wang L, Huang Y, Li L, Liu L, Zhou X, Xie G, Kang T, Wang H, Zeng M, Ma J, Zeng Y,Yun JP. MiR-663, a microRNA targeting p21(WAF1/CIP1), promotes theproliferation and tumorigenesis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncogene.2012 Oct 11; 31(41):4421-33 . doi: 10.1038/onc.2011.629. [Epub ahead of print]
21. LongHuang, Min Zheng, Mei-Yin Zhang, Qing-Ming Zhou, Yin Zhang, Wei-Hua Jia and Hui-Yun Wang. A Gene ExpressionSignature Predicts the Prognosis of Patients with Cervical Carcinoma. MedOncol. 2012 Dec;29(4):2911-8.
22. Rong-RongWei, Mei-Yin Zhang, Hui-Lan Rao, Heng-Yin Pu, Hui-Zhong Zhang, Hui-Yun Wang . Identification ofADH4 as a novel and potential prognostic marker in hepatocellular carcinoma. MedOncol. 2012 Dec;29(4):2737-43. doi: 10.1007/s12032-011-0126-3. Epub2011 Dec 7.
23. ChenXQ, He JR, Wang HY. Decreasedexpression of ALDH1L1 is associated with a poor prognosis in hepatocellularcarcinoma. Med Oncol. 2012 Sep; 29(3):1843-9. Epub 2011 Oct 11.
24. LongHuang, Min Zheng, Qing-Min Zhou, Mei-Ying Zhang, Wei-Hua Jia, Jing-Ping Yun and Hui-Yun Wang. Identification of a gene-expression signature forpredicting lymph node metastasis in early stage patients with cervicalcarcinoma. Cancer, 2011 Aug1;117(15):3363-73.
25. Pramanik S, Cui X, Wang HY,Chimge NO, Hu G, Shen L, Gao R, Li H. Segmental duplication as one of thedriving forces underlying the diversity of the human immunoglobulin heavy chainvariable gene region. BMC Genomics.2011, 12(1):78.
26. Kunnath-VelayudhanS*, Salamon H*, Wang HY*(Co-firstAuthor),Davidow AL, Molina DM, Huynh VT, Cirillo DM, Michel G, Talbot EA, Perkins MD,Felgner PL, Liang X, Gennaro ML. Dynamic antibody responses to theMycobacterium tuberculosis proteome. ProcNatl Acad Sci USA. 2010 Aug 17;107(33):14703-8.
27. HaiqingMa, Desheng Weng, Yibing Chen, Wei Huang, Ke Pan, Hui Wang, Jiancong Sun,Qijing Wang, Zhiwei Zhou, Huiyun Wang* (Co-corresponding author) and Jianchuan Xia*. Extensive analysis of D7S486 in primary gastric cancersupports TESTIN as a candidate tumor suppressor gene. Mol Cancer.2010, 9:190.
28. Guo-Liang Huang, Bin-Kui Li,Mei-Yin Zhang, Hui-Zhong Zhang, Rong-Rong Wei, Yun-Fei Yuan, Ming Shi,Xiao-Qian Chen, Long Huang, An-Hua Li, Bi-Jun Huang, Honghua Li, Hui-YunWang. LOH analysis of genes around D4S2964 identifies ARD1B as aprognostic predictor of hepatocellular carcinoma. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 2010, 16(16):2046-2054.
29. HuakunZhang, Haiqing Ma, Qijing Wang, Minshan Chen, Desheng Weng, Hui Wang, Jun Zhou,Yongqiang Li, Jiancong Sun, Yibing Chen, Xiaoting Liang, Jingjing Zhao, Ke Pan, Huiyun Wang (Co-corresponding),Jianchuan Xia. Analysis of loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 4q inhepatocellular carcinoma using high-throughput SNP array. Oncol Rep,2010,23(2): 445-455.
30. Hui-Yun Wang, Danielle Greenawalt, Xiangfeng Cui, Irina Tereshchenko, MinjieLuo, Qifeng Yang, Marco Azaro, Guohong Hu, Yi Chu, James Y. Li, Li Shen, YongLin, Lianjun Zhangand Honghua Li. Identification of Possible Genetic Alterations in the Breast Cancer CellLine MCF-7 Using High-density SNP Genotyping Microarray. Journal of Carcinogenesis, 2009, 8:6.
31. Minjie Luo, Xiangfeng Cui,David Fredman, Anthony J. Brookes, Marco A. Azaro, Danielle M.Greenawalt,Guohong Hu, Hui-Yun Wang, Irina V. Tereshchenko1, Yong Lin, YueShentu, Richeng Gao, Li Shen, Honghua Li. Genetic structures of copy number variants revealed by genotyping singlesperm. PLoS ONE. 2009,4(4):e5236.
32. Guohong Hu, Qifeng Yang,Xiangfeng Cui, Gang Yue, Marco Azaro, Hui-Yun Wang and HonghuaLi. A Highly Sensitive and Specific System forLarge-scale Gene Expression Profiling. BMC Genomics, 2008, 9(1): 9.
33. Marc Q. Ma, Kai Zhang, Hui-YunWang and Frank Y. Shi. ELBELB-Q, A New Method for Improving the Robustness in DNA Microarray ImageQuantification. IEEE Transactionson Information Technology in Biomedicine, 2007,11(5): 574-582.
34. Guohong Hu, Hui-Yun Wang,Danielle M. Frikker, Marco A. Azaro, Minjie Luo, Irina V. Tereshchenko,Xiangfeng Cui, Qifeng Yang, Richeng Gao, Li Shen, and Honghua Li. AccuTyping:New Algorithms for Large-scale SNPs Genotyping in Two-color Microarray. NucleicAcids Research, 2006, 34(17):e116.
35. Danielle M. Greenawalt, XiangfengCui, Yujun Wu, Yong Lin, Hui-Yun Wang, Minjie Luo, Irina V.Tereshchenko, Guohong Hu, James Y. Li, Yi Chu, Marco A. Azaro, CristinaDeCoste, Nyam-Osor Chimge, Richeng Gao, Li shen, Weichung J. Shih, KennethLange, and Honghua Li. Strong Correlationbetween Meiotic Crossovers and the Haplotype Structure on the Long Arm ofChromosome 21. Genome Research, 2006 16: 208-214.
36. Hui-Yun Wang, Mijie Luo, Irina Tereshchenko, Danielle Frikker, Xiangfeng Cui,James Y. Li, Guohong Hu, Yi Chu, Marco Azaro, Li shen, Qifeng Yang, ManousosKambouris, Richeng Gao, and Honghua Li. A Genotyping System Capable of Simultaneously Analyzing >1,000 SingleNucleotide Polymorphisms in a Haploid Genome. Genome Research， 2005, 15(2): 276-283.
37. Feng BJ, Huang W, Shugart YY,Lee MK, Zhang F, Xia JC, Wang HY, Huang TB, Jian SW, Huang P,Feng QS, Huang LX, Yu XJ, Li D, Chen LZ, Jia WH, Fang Y, Huang HM, Zhu JL, LiuXM, Zhao Y, Liu WQ, Deng MQ, Hu WH, Wu SX, Mo HY, Hong MF, King MC, Chen Z,Zeng YX. Genome-wide scan forfamilial nasopharyngeal carcinoma and evidence for linkage to chromosome4. Nature Genetics, 2002;31(4): 395-399.
38. Shao JY, Huang XM, Yu XJ, HuangLX, Wu QL, Xia JC, Wang HY, Feng QS, Ren ZF, Ernberg I, Hu LF,Zeng YX. Loss of heterozygosity and itscorrelation with clinical outcome and Epstein-Barr virus infection innasopharyngeal carcinoma. AnticancerResearch, 2001; 21 (4B): 3021-3029.
39. Li SP, Wang HY (co-firstauthor), Zhang Chang-Qing, Feng Qi-Sheng, Huang Ping, Yu Xing-Juan,Huang Li-Xi, Liang Qi-Wang and Zeng Yi-Xin. Genome-wide analyses on loss of heterozygosity in hepatocellularcarcinoma in Southern China. Journalof Hepatology, 2001; 34(6): 840-849.
40. Shao Jian-Yong, WangHui-Yun(co-first author), Huang Xiao-Ming, Feng Qi-Sheng,Huang Ping, Feng Bing-Jian, Huang Li-Xi, Yu Xing-Juan, Hu Li-Fu, Ernberg I andZeng Yi-Xin. Genome-wide allelotypeanalysis of sporadic primary nasopharyngeal carcinoma from southern China. International Journal of Oncology, 2000; 17(6): 1267-1275.
Last updated on: August, 2014
Prof. Xin-Yuan Guan got his PhD degree in 1993 at the University of Arizona. After postdoctoral training at the University of Michigan, he was recruited by National Human Genome Research Institute in NIH as a senior staff fellow in 1993. He was then moved to the Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong in 1999 as an Associate Professor, and promoted to Professor in 2007. He is Professor of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center since 2007.
His major scientific contributions include:
(1)development and application of Micro-FISH technique in cancer research;
(2)identification and characterization of novel oncogenes, such as EIF5A2 and CHD1L in various cancers; and
(3)identification and characterization of cancer stem cells in hepatocellular and esophageal carcinomas.
Currently, Prof. Guan’s research interests include cancer stem cell, cancer microenvironment, and cancer related genes in liver, esophageal and nasopharyngeal cancers. He has published more than 240 peer-reviewed papers in international journals including in Science, Nature Genetics, Nature Medicine, Cell Stem Cell, J Clin Invest, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Gut, Cancer Research, and Oncogene.
Cancer stem cell, cancer microenvironment, and cancer related genes in liver, esophageal and nasopharyngeal cancers
1988-1993 University of Arizona, Ph.D.
1. Li Y, Fu L, Li JB, Qin Y, Zeng TT, Zhou J, Zeng ZL, ChenJ, Cao TT, Ban X, Qian C, Cai Z, Xie D, Huang P, Guan XY*. Increased expression of EIF5A2, via hypoxia or gene amplification,contributes to metastasis and angiogenesis of esophageal squamous cellcarcinoma. Gastroenterology 2014 ;146(7):1701-13.
2. Zhu YH, Liu H, Zhang LY, Zeng T, Song Y, Qin YR, Li L,Liu L, Li J, Zhang B, Guan XY*.Downregulation of LGI1 promotes tumor metastasis in esophageal squamous cellcarcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2014;35(5):1154-61.
3. Liu M, Li Y, Chen L, Man Chan TH, Song Y, Fu L, Zeng TT,Dai YD, Zhu YH, Li Y, Chen J, Yuan YF, GuanXY*. Allele-specific imbalance of oxidative stress-induced growth inhibitor1 associates with progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2014;146(4):1084-96.
4. Liu L, Dai Y, Chen J, Zeng T, Li Y, Chen L, Zhu YH, Li J,Li Y, Ma S, Xie D, Yuan YF, Guan XY*.Maelstrom promotes hepatocellular carcinoma metastasis by inducing epithelial-mesenchymaltransition by way of Akt/GSK-3β/Snail signaling. Hepatology 2014;59(2):531-43.
5. Qin YR*, Qiao JJ, Chan TH, Zhu YH, Liu H, FeiJ, Li Y, Guan XY*, Chen L*. Adenosine-to-inosine RNA editing mediatedby ADARs in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma (ESCC). Cancer Res 2014;74(3):840-51.
6. Chen L, Li Y, Lin CH, Chan TH, Chow RK, Song Y, Liu M,Yuan YF, Fu L, Kong KL, Qi L, Li Y, Zhang N, Tong AH, Kwong DL, Man K, Lo CM,Lok S, Tenen DG*, Guan XY*. RecodingRNA editing of AZIN1 predisposes to hepatocellular carcinoma. NatMed 2013;19(2):209-16.
7. Zhu YH, Fu L, Chen L, Qin YR, Liu H, Xie F, Zeng T, DongSS, Li J, Li Y, Dai Y, Xie D, Guan XY*.Downregulation of the novel tumor suppressor DIRAS1 predicts poor prognosis inesophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 2013;73(7):2298-309.
8. Wong AM, Kong KL, Chen L, Liu M, Wong AM, Zhu C, TsangJW, Guan XY*. Characterization ofCACNA2D3 as a putative tumor suppressor gene in the development and progressionof nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2013;133(10):2284-95.
9. Tang KH, Dai YD, Tong M, Chan YP, Kwan PS, Fu L, Qin YR,Tsao SW, Lung HL, Lung ML, Tong DK, Law S, Chan KW, Ma S*, Guan XY*. A CD90(+) tumor-initiating cell population with anaggressive signature and metastatic capacity in esophageal cancer. CancerRes 2013;73(7):2322-32.
10. Zhang LY, Lee VH,Wong AM, Kwong D, Zhu YH, Dong SS, Kong KL, Chen J, Tsao GS, Guan XY*, Fu L*. MicroRNA-144 promotes cell proliferation, migration and invasion in nasopharyngeal carcinoma through repression of PTEN. Carcinogenesis 2013;34(2):454-63.
11. Li Y, Chen L, Chan TH, Liu M, Kong KL, Qiu JL, Li Y, YuanYF, Guan XY*. SPOCK1 is regulated byCHD1L and blocks apoptosis and promotes HCC cell invasiveness and metastasis inmice. Gastroenterology 2013;144(1):179-191.
12. Ma S, Bao JY, KwanPS, Chan YP, Tong CM, Fu L, Zhang N, Tong AH, Qin YR, Tsao SW, Chan KW, Lok S, Guan XY*. Identification of PTK6, viaRNA sequencing analysis, as a suppressor of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2012;143(3):675-86.
13. Liu M, Chen L, Chan TH, Wang J, Li Y, Li Y, Zeng TT, YuanYF, Guan XY*. Serum andglucocorticoid kinase 3 at 8q13.1 promotes cell proliferation and survival inhepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2012;55(6):1754-65.
14. Chan TH, Chen L, Liu M, Hu L, Zheng BJ, Poon VK, Huang P,Yuan YF, Huang JD, Yang J, Tsao GS, GuanXY*. Translationally controlled tumor protein induces mitotic defects andchromosome missegregation in hepatocellular carcinoma development. Hepatology 2012;55(2):491-505.
15. Kong KL, Kwong DL, Chan TH, Law SY, Chen L, Li Y, Qin YR, Guan XY*. MicroRNA-375 inhibitstumour growth and metastasis in oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma throughrepressing insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor. Gut 2012;61(1):33-42.
16. Tang KH, Ma S*, Lee TK, Chan YP,Kwan PS, Tong CM, Ng IO, Man K, To KF, Lai PB, Lo CM, Guan XY*, Chan KW*. CD133(+) livertumor-initiating cells promote tumor angiogenesis, growth, and self-renewalthrough neurotensin/interleukin-8/CXCL1 signaling. Hepatology 2012;55(3):807-20.
17. Fan H*, Chen L, Zhang F, Quan Y, Su X, Qiu X, Zhao Z,Kong KL, Dong S, Song Y, Chan TH, GuanXY*. MTSS1, a novel target of DNA methyltransferase 3B, functions as atumor suppressor in hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncogene 2012;31(18):2298-308.
18. Hu L, Liu M, Chen L, Chan TH, Wang J, Huo KK, Zheng BJ,Xie D, Guan XY*. SCYL1 bindingprotein 1 promotes the ubiquitin-dependent degradation of Pirh2 and hastumor-suppressive function in the development of hepatocellular carcinoma. Carcinogenesis 2012;33(8):1581-8.
19. Wong AM, Kong KL, Tsang JW, Kwong DL, Guan XY*. Profiling of Epstein-Barrvirus-encoded microRNAs in nasopharyngeal carcinoma reveals potentialbiomarkers and oncomirs. Cancer 2012;118(3):698-710.
20. Fu L, Zhang C, Zhang LY, Dong SS, Lu LH, Chen J, Dai Y,Li Y, Kong KL, Kwong DL, Guan XY*.Wnt2 secreted by tumour fibroblasts promotes tumour progression in oesophagealcancer by activation of the Wnt/β-catenin signalling pathway. Gut 2011;60(12):1635-43.
21. Chen L, Yuan YF, Li Y, Chan TH, Zheng BJ, Huang J, Guan XY*. Clinical significance ofCHD1L in hepatocellular carcinoma and therapeutic potentials of virus-mediatedCHD1L depletion. Gut 2011;60(4):534-43.
22. Li Y, Chen L, Nie CJ, Zeng TT, Liu H, Mao X, Qin Y, ZhuYH, Fu L, Guan XY*. Downregulationof RBMS3 is associated with poor prognosis in esophageal squamous cellcarcinoma. Cancer Res 2011;71(19):6106-15.
23. Qin YR, Tang H, Xie F, Liu H, Zhu Y, Ai J, Chen L, Li Y,Kwong DL, Fu L, Guan XY*.Characterization of tumor-suppressive function of SOX6 in human esophagealsquamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2011;17(1):46-55.
24. Tang DJ,Dong SS, Ma NF, Xie D, Chen L, Fu L, Lau SH, Li Y, Li Y, Guan XY*. Overexpression of eukaryotic initiation factor 5A2 enhances cellmotility and promotes tumor metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 2010;51(4):1255-63.
25. Chen L, Chan TH, Yuan YF, Hu L,Huang J, Ma S, Wang J, Dong SS, Tang KH, Xie D, Li Y, Guan XY*. CHD1L promotes hepatocellular carcinoma progression and metastasisin mice and is associated with these processes in human patients. JClin Invest 2010;120(4):1178-91.
26. Fu L, Dong SS, Xie YW, Tai LS,Chen L, Kong KL, Man K, Xie D, Li Y, Cheng Y, Tao Q, Guan XY*. Down-regulation of tyrosine aminotransferase at a frequentlydeleted region 16q22 contributes to the pathogenesis of hepatocellularcarcinoma. Hepatology 2010;51(5):1624-34.
27. Li Y,Nie CJ, Hu L, Qin Y, Liu HB, Zeng TT, Chen L, Fu L, Deng W, Chen SP, Jia WH,Zhang C, Xie D, Guan XY*. Characterizationof a novel mechanism of genomic instability involving the SEI1/SET/NM23H1pathway in esophageal cancers. Cancer Res 2010;70(14):5695-705.
28. Kong KL, Kwong DL, Fu L, ChanTH, Chen L, Liu H, Li Y, Zhu YH, Bi J, Qin YR, Law SY, Guan XY*. Characterization of a candidate tumor suppressor gene uroplakin 1Ain esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res 2010;70(21):8832-41.
29. Ma S*, Tang KH, Chan YP, Lee TK, Kwan PS,Castilho A, Ng I, Man K, Wong N, To KF, Zheng BJ, Lai PB, Lo CM, Chan KW*, GuanXY*. miR-130b promotes CD133(+) livertumor-initiating cell growth and self-renewal via tumor protein 53-inducednuclear protein 1. Cell Stem Cell 2010;7(6):694-707.
Last updated on: August, 2014
Dr. Chen is professor of oncology and molecular medicine in Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. Dr. Chen obtained his Bachelor in Biotechnology at Xiamen University, P.R.China in 2002, and obtained his PhD in Genetics at Fudan University, P.R.China in 2007, respectively. His postdoctoral training at University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center and Stony Brook University in New York provided him with great opportunities to explore the fields of tumorigenesis and tumor genetics. He was appointed as Associate Professor at Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences in March 2011. He then joined the Cancer Research Institute at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center (SYSUCC) as a Professor in April 2014. Dr. Chen has published more than 20 research papers.
1. Epigenetic regulation of tumorigenesis.
2. Roles and regulation of inflammation in tumorigenesis.
3. Identification and functional evaluation of novel colorectal cancer related genes.
1. 1998.9-2002.7, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, P.R.China
2. 2002.9-2007.7, School of Life Sciences, Fudan University, P.R.China
1. Chen S, Bohrer L, Rai A, Pan Y, Gan L, Zhou X, Bagchi A,Simon JA, Huang H. Cyclin-dependent kinases regulate epigenetic gene silencing throughphosphorylation of EZH2. Nat Cell Biol 2010 Nov;12(11):1108-14. (selected by Faculty of1000)
2. WangL#, Zeng X#, Chen S#, Ding L,Zhong J, Zhao JC, Sarver A, Koller A, Zhi J, Ma Y, Yu J, Chen J, Huang H. BRCA1is a negative modulator of the PRC2 complex. EMBO J. 2013 May29;32(11):1584-97. (#co-first author; selected by Faculty of 1000)
3. Chen S, Sheng C, Liu D, Yao C,Gao S, Song L, Jiang W, Li J, Huang W. Enhancer of zestehomolog 2 is a negative regulator of mitochondria-mediated innate immuneresponses. J Immunol. 2013 Sep 1;191(5):2614-23..
4. DingL#, Chen S#, Liu P, Pan Y, Zhong J, Regan KM, Wang L, Yu C,Rizzardi T, Cheng L, Zhang J, Schmechel SC, Cheville JC, van Deursen J, TindallDJ, Huang H. CBP loss cooperates with PTEN haploinsufficiency to drive prostatecancer: implications for epigenetic therapy. Cancer Res. 2014 Feb3. [Epub ahead of print](#co-first author)
5. Liu Y, Luo W, Chen S*. Comparison of gene expression profilesreveals aberrant expression of FOXO1, Aurora A/B and EZH2 inlesional psoriatic skins. MolBiol Rep 2011 Aug;38(6):4219-24. (*corresponding author)
6. LiuD, Sheng C, Gao S, Jiang W, Li J, Yao C, Chen H, Wu J, Chen S*, Huang W*. eEF1Bγ is a positive regulator of NF-кBsignaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Chen S, Zhang M, Ma H, Saiyin H,Xi J, Yu L. Oligo-microarray analysis reveals the role of cyclophilin A in drugresistance. Cancer Chemoth Pharm 2008 Mar; 61(3):459-69.
8. Chen S#, Zhao X#, Tan J#, Lu H,Qi Z, Huang Q, Zeng X, Zhang M, Jiang S, Jiang H, Yu L. Structure-basedidentification of small molecule compounds targeting cell cyclophilin A withanti-HIV-1 activity. Eur J Pharmacol 2007 Jun;565(1-3):54-9.
9. Chen S, Saiyin H, Zeng X, Xi J,Liu X, Li X, Yu L. Isolation and functional analysis of human HMBOX1, ahomeobox containing protein with transcriptional repressor activity. CytogenetGenome Res 2006 July; 114(2):131-6.
10. Chen S, Zhu B, Yu L. In silico comparison of gene expression levels in ten humantumor types reveals candidate genes associated with carcinogenesis. CytogenetGenome Res 2006 Jan; 112(1-2):53-9.
11. Chen S, Guo JH, Saiyin H, ChenL, Zhou GJ, Huang CQ, Yu L. Cloning and characterization of human CAGLP geneencoding a novel EF-hand protein. DNA Seq 2004 Oct-Dec; 15(5-6):365-8.
12. GanL, Chen S, Wang Y, WatahikiA, Wang YZ, Bohrer LR, Huang H. Inhibition of the androgen receptor as a novelmechanism of taxol chemotherapy in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 2009 Nov 1; 69(21):8386-94.
13. GuoJ, Chen S, Huang C, Chen L,Studholme DJ, Zhao S, Yu L. MANSC: a seven-cysteine-containing domain presentin animal membrane and extracellular proteins. Trends Biochem Sci 2004Apr; 29(4):172-4.
14. ZengX, Chen S, Huang H.Phosphorylation of EZH2 by CDK1 and CDK2: A possible regulatory mechanism oftransmission of the H3K27me3 epigenetic mark through cell divisions. CellCycle 2011 Feb 15; 10(4):579-83.
15. BohrerLR, Chen S, Hallstrom T,Huang H. Androgens suppress EZH2 expression via retinoblastoma (RB) andp130-dependent pathways: A potential mechanism of androgen-refractoryprogression of prostate cancer. Endocrinology 2010 Nov;151(11):5136-45.
16. JiangW, Wang Q, Chen S, Gao S,Song L, Liu P, Huang W. Influenza A virus NS1 induces G0/G1 cell cycle arrestby inhibiting the expression and activity of RhoA protein. J Virol. 2013Mar;87(6):3039-52.
17. WangQ, Jiang W, Chen Y, Liu P, Sheng C, ChenS, Zhang H, Pan C, Gao S, Huang W. In Vivo Electroporation ofMinicircle DNA as a Novel Method of Vaccine Delivery to Enhance HIV-1-SpecificImmune Responses. J Virol. 2014 Feb;88(4):1924-34.
18. GaoS, Song L, Jiang W, Wang Q, Li J, Zhang Z, Kang T, Chen S, Huang W. Influenza A Virus-Encoded NS1 VirulenceFactor Protein Inhibits Innate Immune Response by Targeting IKK. CellMicrobiol 2012 Dec;14(12):1849-66.
19. ZhangM, Dai C, Zhu H, Chen S, WuY, Li Q, Zeng X, Wang W, Zuo J, Zhou M, Xia Z, Ji G, Saiyin H, Qin L, Yu L.Cyclophilin A promotes human hepatocellular carcinoma cell metastasis viaregulation of MMP3 and MMP9. Mol Cell Biochem 2011Nov;357(1-2):387-95.
20. SongL, Gao S, Jiang W, Chen S, LiuY, Zhou L, Huang W. Silencing suppressors: viral weaponsfor countering host cell defenses. Protein Cell. 2011 Apr;2(4):273-81.
21. ZhangM, Chen S, Li Q, Ling Y,Zhang J, Yu L. Characterization of a novel human HMBOX1 splicing variantlacking the homeodomain and with attenuated transcription repressor activity. MolBiol Rep 2010 July; 37(6):2767-72.
22. GanL, Liu P, Lu H, Chen S, HangJ, McCarthy J, Knudsen KE, and Huang H. Cyclin D1 promotesanchorage-independent cell survival by inhibiting FOXO-mediated anoikis. CellDeath Differ 2009 Oct; 16(10):1408-17.
23. DouT, Chen S, Ji C, Xie Y, MaoY. Co-evolution analysis on endocrine research: a methodological approach. Endocrine 2005 Nov; 28(2):187-92.
24. GuoJH, Saiyin H, Wei YH, Chen S,Chen L, Bi G, Ma LJ, Zhou GJ, Huang CQ, Yu L, Dai L. Expression of testisspecific ankyrin repeat and SOCS box-containing 17 gene. Arch Andrology 2004May-Jun; 50(3):155-61.
25. GuoJH, Chen L, Chen S, Liu X,Saiyin H, Deng Q, Zhuang Y, Wan B, Yu L, Zhao SY. Isolation, expression patternof a novel human RAB gene RAB41 and characterization of its intronless homologRAB41P. DNA Seq 2003 Dec; 14(6):431-5.
Last updated on: August, 2014
Dr Liu is a professor of oncology and molecular medicine in Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. He obtained his Bachelor in Biochemistry at Nanjing University in China in 1989, and Master Degree in Molecular Biology at Tongji Medical University in 1998 and PhD in Oncology at Sun Yat-sen University in 2007, respectively. He then finished postdoctoral training at Indiana University School of Medicine in United States in August 2009. He is a standing member of the Committee of Cancer pharmacology in Guangdong Pharmacological Society since 2014. He has gained 3 research grants from National Natural Science Foundation of China, 1 grant from 863 projects of Ministry of Science & Technology and other 9 grants, and the total budget is over 17 million yuan RMB. He has published more than 110 research papers, in which 50 was included in the SCI (Science Citation Index). He received the first prize in Natural Science Award of Ministry of Education and the first prize in Science & Technology Progress Award of Guangdong Province in 2011. His group has developed anti-angiogenic gene medicine in phase III clinical trial.
(* corresponding authors; # co-first author)
1. Du WY, Lu ZH, Ye W, Fu X, Zhou Y, Kuang CM, Wu JX, Pan ZZ, Chen S, Liu RY*, Huang WL*. The loss-of-function mutations and down-regulated expression of ASB3 gene promote the growth and metastasis of colorectal cancer cells. Chin J Cancer. 2017; 36:
2. Shi W, Ye Z, Zhuang L, Li Y, Shuai W, Zuo Z, Mao X, Liu R, Wu J, Chen S*, Huang W*. Olfactomedin 1 negatively regulates NF-kB signalling and suppresses the growth and metastasis of colorectal cancer cells. J Pathol. 2016; 240: 352-365.
3. Liu J, Wu J, Zhou L, Pan C, Zhou Y, Du W, Chen JM, Zhu X, Shen J, Chen S, Liu RY*, Huang W*. ZD6474, a new treatment strategy for human osteosarcoma, and its potential synergistic effect with celecoxib. Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 21341-52
4. Fu X, Hu J, Han HY, Hua YJ, Zhou L, Shuai WD, Du WY, Kuang CM, Chen S, Huang W*, Liu RY*. High expression of XPA confers poor prognosis for nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients treated with platinum-based chemoradiotherapy. Oncotarget. 2015; 6: 28478-90.
5. Gao S, Wu J, Liu RY, Li J, Song L, Teng Y, Sheng C, Liu D, Yao C, Chen H, Jiang W, Chen S*, Huang W*. Interaction of NS2 with AIMP2 facilitates the switch from ubiquitination to SUMOylation of M1 in influenza A virus-infected cells. J Virol. 2015; 89: 300-11.
6. Yu H, Ye W, Wu J, Meng X, Liu RY, Ying X, Zhou Y, Wang H, Pan C*, Huang W*. Overexpression of sirt7 exhibits oncogenic property and serves as a prognostic factor in colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 3434-45
7. Zhu H, Chen H, Zeng X, Wang Z, Zhang X, Wu Y, Gao Y, Zhang J, Liu K, Liu R, Cai L, Mei L*, Feng SS*. Co-delivery of chemotherapeutic drugs with vitamin E TPGS by porous PLGA nanoparticles for enhanced chemotherapy against multi-drug resistance. Biomaterials. 2014; 35: 2391-400.
8. Ye W, Liu R, Pan C, Jiang W, Zhang L, Guan Z, Wu J, Ying X, Li L, Li S, Tan W, Zeng M, Kang T, Liu Q, Thomas GR, Huang M, Deng W, Huang W*. Multicenter randomized phase 2 clinical trial of a recombinant human endostatin adenovirus in patients with advanced head and neck carcinoma. Mol Ther. 2014; 22: 1221-9
9. Meng X, Wu J, Pan C, Wang H, Ying X, Zhou Y, Yu H, Zuo Y, Pan Z, Liu RY, Huang W*. Genetic and epigenetic down-regulation of microRNA-212 promotes colorectal tumor metastasis via dysregulation of MnSOD. Gastroenterology. 2013; 145: 426-36
10. Yin JY, Dong ZZ, Liu RY, Chen J, Liu ZQ, Zhang JT. Translational regulation of RPA2 via internal ribosomal entry site and by eIF3a. Carcinogenesis. 2013; 34: 1224-31.
11. Liu RY, Zhou L, Zhang YL, Huang BJ, Ke ML, Chen JM, Li LX, Fu X, Wu JX, Huang W*. An oncolytic adenovirus enhances antiangiogenic and antitumoral effects of a replication- deficient adenovirus encoding endostatin by rescuing its selective replication in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2013; 442: 171-6.
12. Li LX, Zhang YL, Zhou L, Ke ML, Chen JM, Fu X, Ye CL, Wu JX, Liu RY*, Huang W*. Antitumor efficacy of a recombinant adenovirus encoding endostatin combined with an E1B55KD-deficient adenovirus in gastric cancer cells. J Transl Med. 2013; 11: 257.
13. Liu RY, Dong Z, Liu J, Zhou L, Huang W, Khoo SK, Zhang Z, Petillo D, Teh BT, Qian CN*, Zhang JT*. Overexpression of asparagine synthetase and matrix metalloproteinase 19 confers cisplatin sensitivity in nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013; 12: 2157-66.
14. Liu RY, Zhu YH, Zhou L, Zhao P, Li HL, Zhu LC, Han HY, Lin HX, Kang L, Wu JX, Huang W*. Adenovirus-mediated delivery of interferon-γ gene inhibits the growth of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. J Transl Med. 2012; 10: 256.
15. Wang H, Wu J, Meng X, Ying X, Zuo Y, Liu R, Pan Z, Kang T, Huang W*. MicroRNA-342 inhibits colorectal cancer cell proliferation and invasion by directly targeting DNA methyltransferase 1. Carcinogenesis. 2011; 32: 1033-42.
16. Liu RY, Dong Z, Liu J, Yin JY, Zhou L, Wu X, Yang Y, Mo W, Huang W, Khoo SK, Chen J, Petillo D, Teh BT, Qian CN, Zhang JT*. Role of eIF3a in regulating cisplatin sensitivity and in translational control of nucleotide excision repair of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncogene 2011; 30: 4814-23.
17. Li ZH, Tang QB, Wang J, Zhou L, Huang WL, Liu RY*, Chen RF*. Hepatitis C virus core protein induces malignant transformation of biliary epithelial cells by activating nuclear factor-kappaB pathway. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 25: 1315-20.
18. Tan L, Jia H, Liu R, Wu J, Han H, Zuo Y, Yang S, Huang W*. Inhibition of NF-kappaB in fusogenic membrane glycoprotein causing HL-60 cell death: implications for acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer Lett. 2009; 273: 114-21.
19. Huang BJ, Liu RY#, Huang JL, Liang ZH, Gao GF, Wu JX, Huang W*. Long-Term Toxicity Studies in Canine of E10A, An Adenoviral Vector for Human Endostatin Gene. Hum Gene Ther. 2007; 18: 207-21.
20. Xue G, Liu RY#, Li Y, Cheng Y, Liang ZH, Wu JX, Zeng MS, Tian FZ, Huang W*. Dendritic cells modified with 6Ckine/IFNgamma fusion gene induce specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes in vitro. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2007; 56: 1831-43.
21. Li L, Liu RY#, Huang JL, Liu QC, Li Y, Wu PH, Zeng YX, Huang W*. Adenovirus-mediated intra-tumoral delivery of the human endostatin gene inhibits tumor growth in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2006; 118: 2064-71
22. Liu RY, Wu LZ, Huang BJ, Huang JL, Zhang YL, Ke ML, Wang JM, Tan WP, Zhang RH, Chen HK, Zeng YX, Huang W*. Adenoviral expression of a truncated S1 subunit of SARS-CoV spike protein results in specific humoral immune responses against SARS-CoV in rats. Virus Res. 2005; 112: 24-31.
Last update: February 2017
Dr. Yan Li obtained her M.D. degree at Yunyang Medical College and Ph.D degree at Sun Yat-sen Medical University in 1995 and 2001, respectively. She then joined Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center (SYSUCC) as Assistant Professor. She went back to the SYSUCC in 2005 after her postdoctoral training at Yale University Cancer Center. She is now an Associate Professor in SYSUCC. Dr. Yan Li has published more than 30 research papers.
|Research Interest(s)||Cancer genetics; tumor microenvironment; ESCC; HCC|
1990-1995 Yunyang Medical College, M.D.
1996-2001 Sun Yat-sen Medical University, Ph.D.
1. Li Y*, Fu L, Li JB, Qin Y, Zeng TT, ZhouJ, Zeng ZL, Chen J, Cao TT, Ban X, Qian C, Cai Z, Xie D, Huang P, Guan XY*.Increased Expression of EIF5A2, via Hypoxia or Gene Amplification, Contributesto Metastasis and Angiogenesis of Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma.Gastroenterology. 2014 Jun;146(7):1701-1713.（Co-correspondence）
2. Li Y*, Zhu CL, Nie CJ, Li JC, Zeng TT,Zhou J, Chen J, Chen K, Fu L, Liu H, Qin Y, Guan XY*. Investigation of Tumor Suppressing Functionof CACNA2D3 in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. PLoS One. 2013;8(4):e60027.（Co-correspondence）
3. Huang PY, Li Y, Mai HQ, Luo RZ, CaiYC, Zhang L. Expression of ERCC1 predicts clinical outcome in locoregionallyadvanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma treated with cisplatin-based inductionchemotherapy.Oral Oncol. 2012 Oct;48(10):964-8. (Co-first)
4. Li Y, Chen L, Nie CJ, Zeng TT, Liu H, MaoX, Qin Y, Zhu YH, Fu L, Guan XY. Downregulation of RBMS3 is associated withpoor prognosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2011;71(19):6106-15.
5. Li Y, Nie CJ, Hu L, Qin YR, Liu HB, ZengTT, Chen LL, Fu L, Deng W, Chen SP, Jia WH, Zhang CY, Xie D, Guan XY. Characterization of a novel mechanism ofgenomic instability involving SEI1/SET/NM23H1 pathway in esophageal cancers. Cancer Res. 2010.70(14)：5695-705.
6. Li Y, Shao JY, Liu RY, Zhou L, Chai LP, LiHL, Han HY, Huang BJ, Zeng MS, Zhu XF, Liu Q, Fu LW, Huang W. Evaluation oflong-term toxicity of Ad/hIFN-, an Adenoviral vector encoding the humaninterferon-gamma gene, in nonhuman primates. Hum Gene Ther. 2008Aug;19(8):827-39.
7. Chen K, Li Y*, Dai Y, Li J, Qin Y, Zhu Y,Zeng T, Ban X, Fu L, Guan XY*. Characterization of Tumor Suppressive Functionof cornulin in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. PLoS One. 2013 Jul24;8(7):e68838. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0068838. (Co-correspondence)
8. Xue G, Liu RY, Li Y, Cheng Y, Liang ZH, WuJX, Zeng MS, Tian FZ, Huang W. Dendritic cells modified with 6Ckine/IFNgammafusion gene induce specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes in vitro. Cancer ImmunolImmunother. 2007 Nov;56(11):1831-43. (Co-first)
9. Dai Y, Liu L, Zeng T, Zhu YH,Li J, Chen L, Li Y, Yuan YF, Ma S, Guan XY. Characterization of the oncogenic function ofcentromere protein F in hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun.2013 Jun 17. doi:pii: S0006-291X(13)00995-9. 10.1016/j.bbrc.2013.06.021.
10. Xue G, Li Y, Liu RY, Tian FZ, Huang WL. Therole of recombinant Ad-6Ckine/IFN Fusion Gene-modified dendritic cells act asadjuvants to induce antitumor immunity. Oncology Research 2006 Jun, 15: 491-2
11. Li J, Li X, Li Y, Yang H, Wang L, Qin Y, LiuH, Fu L, Guan XY. Cell-specific detection of miR-375 downregulation forpredicting the prognosis of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma by miRNA in situhybridization. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e53582.
12. Chen L, Li Y, Lin CH, Chan TH, Chow RK, SongY, Liu M, Yuan YF, Fu L, Kong KL, Qi L, Li Y, Zhang N, Tong AH, Kwong DL, ManK, Lo CM, Lok S, Tenen DG, Guan XY. Recoding RNA editing of AZIN1 predisposesto hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Med. 2013 Feb;19(2):209-16.
13. Chen L, Yuan YF, Li Y, Chan TH, Zheng BJ,Huang J, Guan XY. Clinical significanceof CHD1L in hepatocellular carcinoma and therapeutic potentials ofvirus-mediated CHD1L depletion. Gut. 2011 Apr;60(4):534-43.
14. Wang J, Chen L, Li Y, Guan XY. Overexpressionof cathepsin z contributes to tumor metastasis by inducingepithelial-mesenchymal transition in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One.2011;6(9):e24967 Epub 2011 Sep 22
15. Li J, Yang H, Chen L, Li Y, Zhu Y, Dai Y,Chen K, Ai J, Zeng T, Mao X, Liu L, Li X, Guan XY. Establishment and characterization of humannon-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Mol Med Report. 2012 Jan;5(1):114-7.doi: 10.3892/mmr.2011.613. Epub 2011 Oct 3.
16. Zhu YH, Fu L, Chen L, Qin YR, Liu H, Xie F,Zeng T, Dong SS, Li J, Li Y, Dai Y, Xie D, Guan XY. Downregulation of the NovelTumor Suppressor DIRAS1 Predicts Poor Prognosis in Esophageal Squamous CellCarcinoma. Cancer Res. 2013 Apr 1;73(7):2298-309.
17. Huang Y, Li LZ, Zhang CZ, Yi C, Liu LL, ZhouX, Xie GB, Cai MY, Li Y, Yun JP. Decreased expression ofzinc-alpha2-glycoprotein in hepatocellular carcinoma associates with poorprognosis. J Transl Med. 2012 May 24;10:106. doi: 10.1186/1479-5876-10-106.
18. Chen J, Kwong DL, Zhu CL, Chen LL, Dong SS,Zhang LY, Tian J, Qi CB, Cao TT, Wong AM, Kong KL, Li Y, Liu M, Fu L, Guan XY.RBMS3 at 3p24 Inhibits Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Development via Inhibiting CellProliferation, Angiogenesis, and Inducing Apoptosis. PLoS One.2012;7(9):e44636. Epub 2012 Sep5
19. Liu M, Chen LL, Chan TH, Wang J, Li Y, Li Y,Zeng TT, Yuan YF, Guan XY. Serum and glucocorticoid kinase 3 at 8q13.1 promotescell proliferation and survival in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2012Jun;55(6):1754-65.
20. Fu L, Zhang C, Zhang LY, Dong SS, Lu LH, ChenJ, Dai Y, Li Y, Kong KL, Kwong DL, Guan XY. Wnt2 secreted by tumour fibroblastspromotes tumour progression in oesophageal cancer by activation of theWnt/β-catenin signalling pathway. Gut. 2011 Dec;60(12):1635-43.
21. Xie F, Liu H, Zhu YH, Qin YR, Dai Y, Zeng T,Chen L, Nie C, Tang H, Li Y, Fu L, Guan XY. Overexpression of GPR39 contributesto malignant development of human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. BMCCancer. 2011 Feb 25;11:86.
22. Qin YR, Tang H, Xie F, Liu H, Zhu Y, Ai J,Chen L, Li Y, Kwong DL, Fu L, Guan XY. Characterization of tumor-suppressivefunction of SOX6 in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Clin Cancer Res.2011 Jan 1;17(1):46-55.
23. Kong KL, Kwong DL, Fu L, Chan TH, Chen L, LiuH, Li Y, Zhu YH, Bi J, Qin YR, Law SY, Guan XY. Characterization of a candidatetumor suppressor gene uroplakin 1A in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Cancer Res. 2010 Nov 1;70(21):8832-41.
24. Wen J, Zheng B, Hu Y, Zhang X, Yang H, Li Y,Zhang CY, Luo KJ, Zang X, Li YF, Guan XY, Fu JH. Comparative proteomic analysisof the esophageal squamous carcinoma cell line EC109 and its multi-drugresistant subline EC109/CDDP. Int JOncol. 2010 Jan;36(1):265-74.
25. Chen L, Chan TH, Yuan YF, Hu L, Huang J, MaS, Wang J, Dong SS, Tang KH, Xie D, Li Y, Guan XY. CHD1L promoteshepatocellular carcinoma progression and metastasis in mice and is associatedwith these processes in human patients. J Clin Invest. 2010 Apr 1;120(4):1178-91.
26. Fu L, Dong SS, Xie YW, Tai LS, Chen L, KongKL, Man K, Xie D, Li Y, Cheng Y, Tao Q, Guan XY. Down-regulation of tyrosine aminotransferaseat a frequently deleted region 16q22 contributes to the pathogenesis ofhepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2010 May;51(5):1624-34.
27. Zhang C, Fu L, Fu J, Hu L, Yang H, Rong TH,Li Y, Liu H, Fu SB, Zeng YX, Guan XY. Fibroblast growth factor receptor2-positive fibroblasts provide a suitable micro -environment for tumordevelopment and progression in esophageal carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2009 Jun 15;15(12):4017-27.
28. Tang DJ, Dong SS, Ma NF, Xie D,Chen L, Fu L, Lau SH, Li Y, Li Y, Guan XY. Overexpression of EIF5A2 enhances cell motilityand promotes tumor metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology. 2010;Apr;51(4):1255-63.
29. Qin YR, Fu L, Sham PC, Kwong DL, Zhu CL, ChuKK, Li Y, Guan XY. Single-nucleotide polymorphism-mass array reveals commonlydeleted regions at 3p22 and 3p14.2 associate with poor clinical outcome inesophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2008 Aug 15;123(4):826-30.
30. Fu L, Qin YR, Xie D, Chow HY, Ngai SM, KwongDL, Li Y, Guan XY. Identification of alpha-actinin 4 and 67 kDa lamininreceptor as stage-specific markers in esophageal cancer via proteomicapproaches. Cancer. 2007 Dec 15;110(12):2672-81.
31. Li L, Liu RY, Huang JL, Liu QC, Li Y, Wu PH,Zeng YX, Huang W. Adenovirus-mediated intra-tumoral delivery of the humanendostatin gene inhibits tumor growth in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer2006: 118: 2064-71.
Last updated on: August, 2014
Dr. Na Liu is an Associate Professor of Department of Experiment Research. She obtained her M.D. of Oncology at Nan Hua University in 2007 and Ph.D. of Oncology at Sun Yat-sen University in 2009, respectively. She joined the Department of Experiment Research at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center (SYSUCC) as an Associate Professor via “One Hundred Talents Project of Sun Yat-sen University” in November 2013. Dr. Liu’s research is focused on the molecular mechanisms of individualized treatment for nasopharyngeal carcinoma and she has published 10 peer-reviewed papers.
Dr. Na Liu is interested in the molecular mechanisms of individualized treatment for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. She identified a five-miRNA signature was associated with disease-free survival and the effect of chemotherapy of NPC patients, and further investigated the function and mechanisms of miRNAs in NPC development and progression, which providing novel biomarkers and targets for the individualized therapy for NPC patients.
09/2009-07/2013 Ph.D. of Oncology, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
09/2006-07/2009 Master Degree of Oncology, Nan Hua University, Hengyang, China
09/2002-07/2007 Bachelor of Medicine, Nan Hua University, Hengyang, China
1. Liu N,#Chen NY,# Cui RX,# Li WF, Li Y, Wei RR, Zhang MY, Sun Y, Huang BJ, Chen M, HeQM, Jiang N, Chen L, Cho WC, Yun JP, Zeng J, Liu LZ, Li L, Guo Y, Wang HY, MaJ. Prognostic value of a microRNA signature in nasopharyngeal carcinoma: amicroRNA expression analysis. Lancet Oncol, 2012; 13(6): 633-641.
2. Liu N,# Jiang N,# Guo R,# Jiang W, He QM,Xu YF, Li YQ, Tang LL, Mao YP, Sun Y, Ma J. MiR-451 inhibits cell growth andinvasion by targeting MIF and is associated with survival in nasopharyngealcarcinoma. Mol Cancer, 2013; 12(1): 123.
3. Liu N,# He QM,# Chen JW,# Li YQ, Xu YF, RenXY, Sun Y, Mai HQ, Shao JY, Jia WH, Kang TB, Zeng MS, Ma J. Overexpression ofCIP2A is an independent prognostic indicator in nasopharyngeal carcinoma andits depletion suppresses cell proliferation and tumor growth. Mol Cancer, 2014;13(1): 111.
4. Liu N,# Tang LL,# Sun Y,# Cui RX, Wang HY,Huang BJ, He QM, Jiang W, Ma J. MiR-29c suppresses invasion and metastasis bytargeting TIAM1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Lett, 2013; 329(2):181-188.
5. Liu N,# Cui RX,# Sun Y,# Guo R, Mao YP, TangLL, Jiang W, Liu X, Cheng YK, He QM, Cho WCS, Liu LZ, Li L, Ma J. A four-miRNAsignature identified from genome-wide serum miRNA profiling predicts survivalin nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer, 2014; 134 (6): 1359-1368.
6. Liu N,# Cui RX,# He QM, Huang BJ, Sun Y, XieD, Zeng J, Wang HY, Ma J. Reduced expression of Dicer1 is associated with poorprognosis in patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Med Oncol, 2013; 30(1):360.
7. Li WF,# Liu N,# Cui RX, He QM, Chen M, JiangN, Sun Y, Zeng J, Liu LZ, Ma J. Nuclear expression of metastasis-associatedprotein 1 correlates significantly with poor survival in nasopharyngealcarcinoma. J Transl Med, 2012; 10: 78.
8. Jiang W,# Li YQ,# Liu N,# Sun Y, He QM,Jiang N, Xu YF, Chen L, Ma J. 5-Azacytidine enhances the radiosensitivity ofCNE2 and SUNE1 cells in vitro and in vivo possibly by altering DNA methylation.PLoS One, 2014; 9(4): e93273.
9. Cui RX,# Liu N,# He QM, Li WF, Huang BJ, SunY, Tang LL, Chen M, Jiang N, Chen L, Yun JP, Zeng J, Guo Y, Wang HY, Ma J. LowBRMS1 expression promotes nasopharyngeal carcinoma metastasis in vivo and isassociated with poor patient survival. BMC Cancer, 2012; 12: 376.
10. Jiang N,# Liu N,# Yang F, Zhou QM, Cui RX,Jiang W, He QM, Li WF, Guo Y, Zeng J, Yun JP, Chen XC, Zhou BP, Sun Y, Wang HY,Chen ZG, Ma J. Hotspot mutations in common oncogenes are infrequent innasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2014.
Last updated on: July, 2014
Dr. Xiaoxing Li is an associate professor of State key laboratory of Oncology in South China in Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center (SYSUCC). Dr. Li obtained his PhD at school of Public Health, Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), Hong Kong, China in 2010. He subsequently became a postdoctoral fellow in Institute of Digestive Disease of CUHK, focusing on researches in molecular basis and clinical implication of epigenetic alteration in gastrointestinal (GI) cancers. He joined the Lab of Cancer Precision Therapy, SYSUCC as an associate professor in Feb 2014. He was involved in several major research projects on epigenetic alteration in GI cancers as Principal Investigator or Co-investigator with more than 20 publications as fist- or co-author in peer reviewed journals including Hepatology, Gut, Cell Research, Oncogene, Cancer.
Epigenetic alterations related to the mechanisms of pathogenesis of gastrointestinal cancers.
Microbiota in digestive tract associated with human diseases.
01/2007 – 05/2010 Doctor of Philosophy, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
09/2003 – 07/2006 Master of Science, Xiamen University
09/1999 – 07/2003 Bachelor of Science, Xiamen University
1. Xu LX*, Li XX*(*Co-first author), Chu ESH, Zhao GJ, Go MYY, Tao Q, JinHC, Zeng ZR, Sung JJY, and Yu J, Epigenetic inactivation of BCL6B, a novelfunctional tumor suppressor for gastric cancer, is associated with poorsurvival of gastric cancer. Gut. 2012;61:977-985. [IF2013= 13.319]
2. Li XX, Cheung KF, Zhao JH, Ma XW, GoMYY, Chu ESH, Shen B, Cheng ASL, Tao Q, Sung JJY, Kung HF, and Yu J, Epigeneticinactivation of paired box gene 5, a novel tumor suppressor gene, throughdirect upregulation of p53 is associated with prognosis in gastric cancerpatients. Oncogene. 2012; 31(29):3419-3430. [IF2013= 8.559]
3. Zhao GJ, Xu LX, Chu ESH, Zhang N, Shen JY, Damirin A, Li XX#. Establishment of anorthotopic transplantation tumor model of hepatocellular carcinomas in mice. WorldJ Gastroenterol. 2012; 18(47):7087-7092. [IF2013= 2.433]
4. LiuWL*, Li XX* (*Co-first author),Chu ESH, Go MYY, Xu L, Zhao GJ, Li LL, Dai N, Si JM, Tao Q, Sung JJY and Yu J,Paired Box Gene 5 Is a Novel Tumor Suppressor in Hepatocellular CarcinomaThrough Interaction with p53 Signaling Pathway. Hepatology. 2011;52:843-853. [IF2013= 11.19]
5. Li XX, Wong GLH, To KF, Wong VWS, Lai LH, Chow DKL, Lau JYW, Sung JJY, Ding CM, Bacterial Microbiota profiling in Gastritis withoutHelicobacter pylori infection or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Use. PLoSOne. 2009; 4(11): e7985. [IF2013= 3.534]
6. Li XX, Duan XP, Jiang HX, Sun YJ,Tang YP, Yuan Z, Guo JK, Liang WQ, Chen L, Yin JY, Ma H, Wang J, and Zhang DB,Genome-Wide Analysis of Basic/Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factor Family inRice and Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology. 2006;141:1167-1184. [IF2013= 7.394].
7. Yu J, Wu WK, Li X, He J, LiXX, Ng SS, Yu C, Gao Z, Yang J, Li M, Wang Q, Liang Q, Pan Y, Tong JH, ToKF, Wong N, Zhang N, Chen J, Lu Y, Lai PB, Chan FK, Li Y, Kung HF, Yang H, WangJ, Sung JJ. Novel recurrently mutated genes and a prognostic mutation signaturein colorectal cancer. Gut. 2014; epublish ahead of print.[IF2013= 13.319]
8. Yu C, Yu J, Yao X, Wu WK, Lu Y, Tang S, Li X, Bao L, Li XX, Hou Y, Wu R, Jian M, Chen R,Zhang F, Xu L, Fan F, He J, Liang Q, Wang H, Hu X, He M, Zhang X, Zheng H, LiQ, Wu H, Chen Y, Yang X, Zhu S, Xu X, Yang H, Wang J, Sung JJ, Li Y. Discoveryof biclonal origin and a novel oncogene SLC12A5 in colon cancer by single-cellsequencing. Cell Res. 2014; epublish ahead of print [IF2013=11.981]
9. Otani K, Li XX, ArakawaT, Chan FK, Yu J. Epigenetic-mediated tumor suppressor genes as diagnostic orprognostic biomarkers in gastric cancer. Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2013;13(5):445-455. [IF2012= 4.27]
10. Zhang N, Li XX, Wu CW,Dong YJ, Cai MY, Mok MT, Wang H, Chen J, Ng SS, Chen MH, Sung JJ, Yu J. microRNA-7is a novel inhibitor of YY1 contributing to colorectal tumorigenesis. Oncogene. 2013; 32:5078–5088. [IF2013= 8.559]
Last updated on: July, 2014
Dr. Ke Pan is the associate professor of experiment research department of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center. Dr. Pan obtained his Bachelor and PhD at South China Agriculture University, P. R. China in 2000 and 2006, respectively. His doctoral project focused on the immunoassay of toxic compound based on the generating of monoclonal antibody and recombinant single chain Fv.
In 2006, he started his postdoctoral training at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, focused on cancer immunotherapy based on Dendritic cells (DC) and T cells.
In 2009, he was promoted to be assistant professor at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, continue his study of cancer immunotherapy, including basic and clinical research.
In 2014, he was promoted to be associate professor. In the study period at Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, he investigated DC function, correlated signal pathway, antigen selection and optimized cytokine cocktails for DC mature in detailed, as well as explored the clinical efficacy of cytokine induced killer cells (CIK) for the cancer patients.
In 2014, at the same time, he was appointed to be visiting scientist at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, focused on the study of function and characters of long term persistence memory T cells target on solid tumor cells. Dr. Pan has published more than 40 research papers.
Cancer immunotherapy based on dendritic cells and T cells
9/2003–7/2006 Ph.D. South China Agriculture University, Guangzhou, P.R. ChinaDissertation Title: Production and characterization of single chain Fv directed against beta2-agonist clenbuterol.
9/2000–7/2003 M.S. South China Agriculture University, Guangzhou, P.R. ChinaThesis Title: Production and characterization of monoclonal antibody directed against beta2-agonist clenbuterol.
9/1996–7/2000 B.S. Food Science and Technology, South China Agriculture University, Guangzhou, P.R. China
1. Pan K, Guan XX, Li YQ, Zhao JJ, Li JJ, Qiu HJ, Weng DS, Wang QJ, Liu Q, Huang LX, He J, Chen SP, Ke ML, Zeng YX, Xia JC. Clinical activity of adjuvant cytokine-induced killer cell immunotherapy in patients with post-mastectomy triple-negative breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20(11):3003-11.
2. Pan K, Lv L, Zheng HX, Zhao JJ, Pan QZ, Li JJ, Weng DS, Wang DD, Jiang SS, Chang AE, Li Q, Xia JC. OK-432 synergizes with IFN-γ to confer dendritic cells with enhanced antitumor immunity. Immunol Cell Biol. 2014; 92(3):263-74.
3. Zhao JJ, Pan QZ, Pan K (co-first author), Weng DS, Wang QJ, Li JJ, Lv L, Wang DD, Zheng HX, Jiang SS, Zhang XF, Xia JC. Interleukin-37 mediates the antitumor activity in hepatocellular carcinoma: role for CD57+ NK cells. Sci Rep. 2014; 4:5177.
4. Pan K, Wang QJ, Liu Q, Zheng HX, Li YQ, Weng DS, Li JJ, Huang LX, He J, Chen SP, Ke ML, Zeng YX, Xia JC. The phenotype of ex vivo generated cytokine-induced killer cells is associated with overall survival in patients with cancer. Tumour Biol. 2014; 35(1):701-7.
5. Zheng Y, Wang DD, Wang W, Pan K, Huang CY, Li YF, Wang QJ, Yuan SQ, Jiang SS, Qiu HB, Chen YM, Zhang XF, Zhao BW, Mai C, Xia JC, Zhou ZW. Reduced expression of uroplakin 1A is associated with the poor prognosis of gastric adenocarcinoma patients. PLoS One. 2014; 9(4):e93073.
6. Wang H, Jiang S, Zhang Y, Pan K, Xia J, Chen M. High expression of thymosin beta 10 predicts poor prognosis for hepatocellular carcinoma after hepatectomy. World J Surg Oncol. 2014; 12(1):226.
7. Mai C, Zhao JJ, Tang XF, Wang W, Pan K, Pan QZ, Zhang XF, Jiang SS, Zhao BW, Li YF, Xia JC, Zhou ZW. Decreased ITIH5 expression is associated with poor prognosis in primary gastric cancer. Med Oncol. 2014; 31(7):53.
8. Pan QZ, Pan K, Weng DS, Zhao JJ, Zhang XF, Wang DD, Lv L, Jiang SS, Zheng HX, Xia JC. Annexin A3 promotes tumorigenesis and resistance to chemotherapy in hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Carcinog. 2013 Dec 23. doi: 10.1002/mc.22126.
9. Pan K, Li YQ, Wang W, Xu L, Zhang YJ, Zheng HX, Zhao JJ, Qiu HJ, Weng DS, Li JJ, Wang QJ, Huang LX, He J, Chen SP, Ke ML, Wu PH, Chen MS, Li SP, Xia JC, Zeng YX. The efficacy of cytokine-induced killer cell infusion as an adjuvant therapy for postoperative hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20(13):4305-11.
10. Pan QZ, Pan K (Co-first author), Zhao JJ, Chen JG, Li JJ, Lv L, Wang DD, Zheng HX, Jiang SS, Zhang XF, Xia JC. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2013; 62(11):1675-85.
11. Lv L, Pan K (Co-first author), Zheng HX, Li JJ, Qiu HJ, Zhao JJ, Weng DS, Pan QZ, Wang DD, Jiang SS, Chang AE, Li Q, Xia JC. IL-17A promotes immune cell recruitment in human esophageal cancers and the infiltrating dendritic cells represent a positive prognostic marker for patient survival. J Immunother. 2013; 36(8):451-8.
12. Yang XB, Zhao JJ, Huang CY, Wang QJ, Pan K, Wang DD, Pan QZ, Jiang SS, Lv L, Gao X, Chen HW, Yao JY, Zhi M, Xia JC. Decreased Expression of the FOXO3a Gene Is Associated with Poor Prognosis in Primary Gastric Adenocarcinoma Patients. PLoS One. 2013; 8(10):e78158.
13. Huang CY, Zhao JJ, Lv L, Chen YB, Li YF, Jiang SS, Wang W, Pan K, Zheng Y, Zhao BW, Wang DD, Chen YM, Yang L, Zhou ZW, Xia JC. Decreased Expression of AZGP1 Is Associated with Poor Prognosis in Primary Gastric Cancer. PLoS One. 2013;8(7):e69155.
14. Huang CY, Chen YM, Zhao JJ, Chen YB, Jiang SS, Yan SM, Zhao BW, Pan K, Wang DD, Lv L, Li YF, Wang W, Zhou ZW, Xia JC. Decreased expression of transcription elongation factor A-like 7 is associated with gastric adenocarcinoma prognosis. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e54671.
15. Zhao JJ, Pan K, Wang QJ, Xu ZD, Weng DS, Li JJ, Li YQ, Xia JC. Effect of anti-asthma Chinese medicine Chuankezhi on the anti-tumor activity of cytokine-induced killer cells. Chin J Cancer. 2013 Mar 8. doi: 10.5732/cjc.012.10249.
16. Li JJ, Pan K, Gu MF, Chen MS, Zhao JJ, Wang H, Liang XT, Sun JC, Xia JC. Prognostic value of soluble MICA levels in the serum of patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma. Chin J Cancer. 2013; 32(3):141-148.
17. Zhang F, Sun XF, Li YQ, Zhen ZJ, Zheng HX, Zhu J, Wang QJ, Lu SY, He J, Wang J, Pan K, Cai RQ, Chen Y, Weng DS, Sun FF, Xia JC. Safety of in vitro amplified HLA-haploidentical donor immune cell infusions for childhood malignancies. Chin J Cancer. 2013; 32(12):661-6.
18. Pan K, Liang XT, Zhang HK, Zhao JJ, Wang DD, Li JJ, Lian Q, Chang AE, Li Q, Xia JC. Characterization of BIN1 as a potential tumor suppressor and prognostic marker in hepatocellular carcinoma. Mol Med. 2012; 18(1):507-518.
19. Wang DD, Chen YB, Pan K, Wang W, Chen SP, Chen JG, Zhao JJ, Lv L, Pan QZ, Li YQ, Wang QJ, Huang LX, Ke ML, He J, Xia JC. Decreased expression of the ARID1A gene is associated with poor prognosis in primary gastric cancer. PLoS One. 2012; 7(7):e40364.
20. Zhao JJ, Pan K (Co-first author), Wang W, Chen JG, Wu YH, Lv L, Li JJ, Chen YB, Wang DD, Pan QZ, Li XD, Xia JC. The Prognostic Value of Tumor-Infiltrating Neutrophils in Gastric Adenocarcinoma after Resection. PLoS One 2012; 7(3):e33655.
21. Li JJ, Gu MF, Pan K (Co-first author), Liu LZ, Zhang H, Shen WX, Xia JC. Autologous Cytokine-Induced Killer Cell Transfusion in Combination with Gemcitabine plus Cisplatin Regimen Chemotherapy for Metastatic Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. J Immunother 2012; 35(2): 189-195
22. Chen Y, Pan K, Li S, Xia J, Wang W, Chen J, Zhao J, Lü L, Wang D, Pan Q, Wang Q, Li Y, He J, Li Q. Decreased expression of V-set and immunoglobulin domain containing 1 (VSIG1) is associated with poor prognosis in primary gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2012; 106(3):286-293.
23. Zhao JJ, Pan K, Li JJ, Chen YB, Chen JG, Lv L, Wang DD, Pan QZ, Chen MS, Xia JC. Identification of LZAP as a new candidate tumor suppressor in hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS One 2011; 6(9):e24897
24. Wang W, Lv L, Pan K, Zhang Y, Zhao JJ, Chen JG, Chen YB, Li YQ, Wang QJ, He J, Chen SP, Zhou ZW, Xia JC. Reduced Expression of Transcription Factor AP-2α Is Associated with Gastric Adenocarcinoma Prognosis. PLoS One 2011;6(9):e24897.
25. Lv L, Pan K (Co-first author), Li XD, She KL, Zhao JJ, Wang W, Chen JG, Chen YB, Yun JP, Xia JC. The Accumulation and Prognosis Value of Tumor Infiltrating IL-17 Producing Cells in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. PLoS One 2011; 6(3):e18219.
26. Liang XT, Pan K, Chen MS, Li JJ, Wang H, Zhao JJ, Sun JC, Chen YB, Ma HQ, Wang QJ, Xia JC. Decreased expression of XPO4 is associated with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 26(3):544-549.
27. Ma H, Liang X, Chen Y, Pan K, Sun J, Wang H, Wang Q, Li Y, Zhao J, Li J, Chen M, Xia J. Decreased expression of BATF2 is associated with a poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2011; 128(4):771-777.
28. Chen JG, Xia JC, Liang XT, Pan K, Wang W, Lv L, Zhao JJ, Wang QJ, Li YQ, Chen SP, He J, Huang LX, Ke ML, Chen YB, Ma HQ, Zeng ZW, Zhou ZW, Chang AE, Li Q. Intratumoral expression of IL-17 and its prognostic role in gastric adenocarcinoma patients. Int J Biol Sci. 2011; 7(1):53-60.
29. Pan K, Zhao JJ, Wang H, Li JJ, Liang XT, Sun JC, Chen YB, Ma HQ, Liu Q, Xia JC. Comparative analysis of cytotoxic T lymphocyte response induced by dendritic cells loaded with hepatocellular carcinoma -derived RNA or cell lysate. Int J Biol Sci. 2010; 6(7):639-648.
30. Sun JC, Liang XT, Pan K, Wang H, Zhao JJ, Li JJ, Ma HQ, Chen YB, Xia JC. High expression level of EDIL3 in HCC predicts poor prognosis of HCC patients. World J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16(36):4611-4615.
31. Ma H, Weng D, Chen Y, Huang W, Pan K, Wang H, Sun J, Wang Q, Zhou Z, Wang H, Xia J. Extensive analysis of D7S486 in primary gastric cancer supports TESTIN as a candidate tumor suppressor gene. Mol Cancer 2010; 9:190.
32. Wang QJ, Wang H, Pan K, Li YQ, Huang LX, Chen SP, He J, Ke ML, Zhao JJ, Li JJ, Sun JC, Liang XT, Ma HQ, Chen YB, Xia JC. Comparative study on anti-tumor immune response of autologous cytokine-induced killer (CIK) cells, dendritic cells-CIK (DC-CIK), and semi-allogeneic DC-CIK. Chin J Cancer 2010; 29(7):641-8.
33. Sun JC, Pan K, Chen MS, Wang QJ, Wang H, Ma HQ, Li YQ, Liang XT, Li JJ, Zhao JJ, Chen YB, Pang XH, Liu WL, Cao Y, Guan XY, Lian QZ, Xia JC. Dendritic cells-mediated CTLs targeting hepatocellular carcinoma stem cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010; 10(4):368-375.
34. Ma H, Zhang Y, Wang Q, Li Y, He J, Wang H, Sun J, Pan K, Chen M, Xia J. Therapeutic safety and effects of adjuvant autologous RetroNectin activated killer cell immunotherapy for patients with primary hepatocellular carcinoma after radiofrequency ablation. Cancer Biol Ther. 2010; 9(11):903-907.
35. Zhang H, Ma H, Wang Q, Chen M, Weng D, Wang H, Zhou J, Li Y, Sun J, Chen Y, Liang X, Zhao J, Pan K, Wang H, Xia J. Analysis of loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 4q in hepatocellular carcinoma using high-throughput SNP array. Oncol Rep. 2010; 23(2):445-455.
36. Ma HQ, Liang XT, Zhao JJ, Wang H, Sun JC, Chen YB, Pan K, Xia JC. Decreased expression of Neurensin-2 correlates with poor prognosis in hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15(38):4844-4848.
37. Zhou J, Weng D, Zhou F, Pan K, Song H, Wang Q, Wang H, Wang H, Li Y, Huang L, Zhang H, Huang W, Xia JC. Patient-derived renal cell carcinoma cells fused with allogeneic dendritic cells elicit anti-tumor activity: in vitro results and clinical responses. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2009; 58(10):1587-1597.
38. Pan K, Wang H, Liu W, Zhang H, Zhou J, Li J, Weng D, Huang W, Sun J, Liang X, Xia JC. The pivotal role of p38 and NF-κB signal pathways in the maturation of human monocyte-derived dendritic cells stimulated by streptococcal agent OK-432. Immunobiology. 2009; 214(5):350-358.
39. Zhang HK, Pan K, Wang H, Weng DS, Song HF, Zhou J, Huang W, Li JJ, Chen MS, Xia JC. Decreased Expression of Ing2 Gene and Its Clinicopathological Significance in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Lett. 2008; 261(2): 183-192.
40. Wang H, Pan K (Co-first author), Zhang HK, Weng DS, Zhou J, Li JJ, Huang W, Song HF, Chen MS, Xia JC. Increased Polycomb-Group Oncogene Bmi-1 Expression Correlates with Poor Prognosis in Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008; 134(5): 535-541.
41. Pan K, Wang H, Chen MS, Zhang HK, Weng DS, Zhou J, Huang W, Li JJ, Song HF, Xia JC. Expression and prognosis role of indoleamine 2, 3-dioxygenase in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2008; 134(11):1247-1253
42. Yang J, Wang H, Jiang Y, Sun Y, Pan K, Lei H, Wu Q, Shen Y, Xiao Z, Xu Z. Development of an enzyme-linked immuno-sorbent assay (ELISA) method for carbofuran residues. Molecules. 2008; 13(4):871-81
43. Pan K, Wang H, Zhang HB, Liu HW, Lei HT, Huang L and Sun YM. Production and Characterization of Single Chain Fv Directed against beta (2)-Agonist Clenbuterol. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2006; 54: 6654-6659
Dr. Shijun Wen is associate professor of medicinal chemistry in Experimental Research Department of Sun Yat-sen University. Dr. Wen obtained his Bachelor in chemistry from Jilin University, and PhD in organic chemistry in 2004 from Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences. During 2005-2010, He worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at Schools of Chemistry and Medicine, Southampton University, and then as a research associate at the Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge. In November 2010, Dr. Wen joined Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center as an associate professor working on the anticancer drug development and the synthetic methodology study. Dr. Wen has published more than 20 SCI research papers.
Design and synthesis of anticancer agents to target abnormal metabolism and glycolysis of cancer cells and epigenetic enzymes. Development of synthetic methodologies to construct drug-like molecules for anticancer drug screening.
1. 1995-1999: B.Sc. in chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Jilin University
2. 1999-2004: PhD. in organic chemistry, working on the total synthesis of cyclomarin C, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences.
1. Zhu D, Wu Y, Wu B, Luo B, Ganesan A, Pi R, WuF-H, Huang P, Wen S*. Three-component Pd/Cu-catalyzed cascade reactions ofcyclic iodoniums, alkynes, and boronic acids: an approach tomethylidenefluorenes. Organic Letters 2014, 16, 2350-2353 (IF 6.32)
2. Li M, Luo B, Liu Q, Hu Y, Ganesan A, Huang P, Wen S*. Synthesis of N-acyl-N,O-acetalsMediated by Titanium Ethoxide. Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 10-13. (IF 6.32)
3. Chen M, Liu Q, Liu A,Tan M, Xie Z, Uri A, Chen Z, Huang G, Sun Y, Ge H, Liu P, Li M, Li X, Wen S*, Pi R* Simply combiningfasudil and lipoic acid in a novel multitargeted chemical entity potentiallyuseful in central nervous system disorders. RSCAdvances, 2014, accepted. (IF 3.7)
4. Mageed SN, Cunningham F, Hung AW, SilvestreHL, Wen S, Blundell TL, AbellC, McConkey GA.Pantothenicacid biosynthesis in the parasite Toxoplasma gondii: a target for chemotherapy. AntimicrobAgents Chemother. 2014 Jul21. pii: AAC.02640-14. [Epub ahead of print] (IF 4.45)
5. Chen M, Tan M, Jing M, Liu A, Liu Q, Wen S, Chen Z, Chao X, He X,Ramassamy C, Gao Y, Pi R. Berberine protects homocysteic acid-induced HT-22 celldeath: involvement of Akt pathway. MetabBrain Dis. 2014 Jul23. [Epub ahead of print] (IF 2.40)
6. Wang L, Wang R, Jin M, Huang Y, Liu A, Qin J,Chen M, Wen S, Pi R, Shen W. Carvedilol Attenuates6-Hydroxydopamine-Induced Cell Death in PC12 Cells: Involvement of Akt andNrf2/ARE Pathways. Neurochem Res. 2014 Jun 21. [Epubahead of print](IF 2.55)
7. Wen, S., Zhu, D.,Huang, P. Targeting Cancer CellMitochondria as a Therapeutic Approach, FutureMed. Chem., 2013, 5(1):53-67. (IF 4.0)
8. Zhu D, LiuQ, Luo B, Chen M, Pi R, Huang P, WenS*. Synthesis of Carbazoles via One-Pot Copper-Catalyzed Amine Insertion into CyclicDiphenyleneiodoniums as a Strategy to Generate a Drug-Like Chemical Library. Adv. Synth. Catal. 2013, 355, 2172-2178(IF 5.54)
9. Zhu D, Chen M, Li M, Luo B, Zhao Y, Huang P, XueF, Rapposelli A, Pi R, WenS*. Discovery of novel N-substituted carbazoles as neuroprotectiveagents with potent anti-oxidative activity. Eur.J. Med. Chem. 2013, 68, 81-88. (IF 3.50)
10. Guan R, Xu X, Chen M, Hu H, Ge H, Wen S*, Zhou S, Pi R. Advancesin the studies of roles of Rho/Rho-kinase in diseases and the development ofits inhibitors. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2013, 70, 613-622. (IF 3.50)
11. Zhou B, Zuo Y, Li B, Wang H, Liu H, Wang X, Qiu X, Hu Y, WenS, Du J, Bu X. Deubiquitinase Inhibition of 19S RegulatoryParticles by 4-Arylidene Curcumin Analogue AC17 Causes NF-κB Inhibition and p53Reactivation in Human Lung Cancer Cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2013, 12(8):1381-92.(IF 5.23)
12. Li X, Lu W, Hu Y, Wen S, Qian C, Wu W, Huang P*.Effective inhibition of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in vitro and in vivo bytargeting glycolysis with oxamate. Int. J. Oncol. 2013, 43(5): 1710-1718. (IF 2.40)
13. Abrahams GL, Kumar A, Savvi S, Hung AW, Wen S, Abell C, Barry CE 3rd,Sherman DR, Boshoff HI, Mizrahi V. Pathway-Selective Sensitization of Mycobacteriumtuberculosis for Target-Based Whole-Cell Screening. Chem Biol. 2012, 27, 19(7), 844-54. (IF 6.59)
14. Tiffon C., Adams J., van der Fits L., WenS, Townsend P., Ganesan A., Hodges E., Vermeer M., Packham G. Thehistone deacetylase inhibitors Vorinostat and Istodax downmodulate IL10expression in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma cells British Journal ofPharmacology, 2011, 162，1590-1602. (IF 4.99)
15. Hung A.W., Silvestre H.L., Wen S,Ciulli A., Blundell T.L., Abell C. Application of fragment growing and fragmentlinking to the discovery of novel inhibitors of Mycobacterium tuberculosispantothenate synthetase Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 8452-8456. (IF11.34)
16. Heikkila T.J., Surade S.,Silvestre H.L., Dias M.V.B., Ciulli A., Bromfield K., Scott D., Howard N., WenS, Wei A.H., Osborne D., Abell C. Blundell T.L. Fragment-based drugdiscovery in academia: experiences from a tuberculosis programme NATOSecurity through Science Series C: Environmental Security, 2009, 21-36.
17. Wen S, Packham, G.,Ganesan, A. Macrolactamization versus Macrolactonization: Total Synthesis ofFK228, the Depsipeptide Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor J Org Chem, 2008, 73, 9353-9361. (IF 4.64)
18. Wen S, Carey K., Nakao Y.,Fusetani N., Packham G., Ganesan A. Total Synthesis of Azumamide A andAzumamide E, Evaluation as Histone Deactylase Inhibitors, and Design of a MorePotent Analogue Organic Letters 2007,9 (6), 1105-1108. (IF6.32)
19. Yurek-George A., Cecil A., Mo A.H.K., WenS, Rogers H., Maeda S., Yoshida M., Packham G., Ganesan A., The FirstBiologically Active Synthetic Analogues of FK228, the Depsipeptide HistoneDeacetylase Inhibitor, J. Med. Chem., 2007; 50(23); 5720-5726. (IF5.48)
20. Wen, SJ, Hu, T.-S., Yao,Z.-J. Macrocylization Studies and Total Synthesis of Cyclomarin C, anAnti-inflammatory Marine Cyclopeptide, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61 (21), 4931-4938. (IF2.82)
21. Wen, SJ, Yao, Z.-J. TotalSynthesis of Cyclomarin C. Organic Letters 2004, 6 (16) 2721-2724. (IF6.32)
22. Wen, SJ, Zhang HY, Yao Z.-J. Synthesis of a fully protected (2S, 3R)-N-(1 ',1 '-dimethyl-2'-propenyl)-3-hydroxytrypto- phan from tryptophan. TetrahedronLett.2002, 43, 5291-5294. (IF2.39)
Last updated on: August, 2014
|Yumin (Christie) Hu|
Dr. Yumin Hu received her M.D. degree from Guangzhou Medical College and obtained Ph.D. and postdoctoral training at The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center. She won the Rosalie B. Hite Fellowship for Cancer Research for year 2005-2008 for her Ph.D. research project “ROS Stress in Ras-Transformed Cancer Cells: Mechanisms and Therapeutic Implications”. In 2009, she won The Kimberly Patterson Fellowship Award for Leukemia Research for her postdoctoral fellow research projects “Overcoming resistance to histone deacetylase inhibitors in human leukemia with the redox modulating compound -phenylethyl isothiocyanate”. In 2010, Dr. Yumin Hu was recruited to Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center as Associate Professor and her research area has been focused on Metabolic alterations and redox regulation in cancer cells.
Metabolic alterations and redox regulation in cancer cells
Development of novel anticancer agents
2002 Guangzhou Medical College, M. D. in Medical Sciences
2008 The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, MD Anderson Cancer Center,
Ph.D. in Molecular Pathology/Cancer Biology
1. Hu Y, Lu W, Chen G, Garcia-Manero G, and Huang P. K-rasG12V transformation leads to mitochondrial dysfunction and a metabolic switch from oxidative phosphorylation to glycolysis. Cell Research 2012 Feb;22(2):399-412
2. Lu W, Hu Y (co-first-author), Chen G, Pelicano H, Chen Z, Zhang H, Huang P et al. “Novel Role of NOX in Supporting Aerobic Glycolysis in Cancer Cells with Mitochondrial Dysfunction and as a Potential Target for Cancer Therapy” PLoS Biology (2012);10(5):e1001326
3. Hu Y, Lu W, Chen G, Zhang H, Jia Y, Wei Y, Yang H, Zhang W, Fiskus W, Bhalla K, Keating M, Huang P, Garcia-Manero G, “Overcoming resistance to histone deacetylase inhibitors in human leukemia with the redox modulating compound -phenylethyl isothiocyanate” Blood (2010) 14;116(15):2732-41
4. Hu Y, Rosen DG, Zhou Y, Feng L, Yang G, Liu J, Huang P, “Mitochondrial MnSOD Expression in Ovarian Cancer: Role in Cell Proliferation and Response to Oxidative Stress” The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2005) 280(47): 39485-92.
5. Tang Z, Yuan S, Hu Y, Zhang H, Wu W, ZengZ, Yang J, Yun J, Xu R and Huang P. Over-Expression of GAPDH in Human Colorectal Carcinoma as a Preferred Target of 3-BrOP. Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes 2012 Feb;44(1):117-25
6. Li M, Luo B, Liu Q, Hu Y, Ganesan A, Huang P, Wen S. Synthesis of N-acyl-N,O-acetals Mediated by Titanium Ethoxide. Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 10-13.
7. Li X, Lu W, Hu Y, Wen S, Qian C, Wu W, Huang P. Effective inhibition of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in vitro and in vivo by targeting glycolysis with oxamate. Int J Oncol. 2013 Nov;43(5):1710-8.
8. Liu PP, Liao J, Tang J, Wu WJ, Yang J, Zeng ZL, Hu Y, Wang P, Ju HQ, Xu RH, Huang P. Metabolic regulation of cancer cell side population by glucose through activation of the Akt pathway. Cell Death & Differentiation, 2013 Oct 4 [Epub ahead of print].
9. Wang P, Mai C, Wei YL, Zhao JJ, Hu Y, Zeng ZL, Yang J, Lu WH, Xu RH, Huang P. Decreased expression of the mitochondrial metabolic enzyme aconitase (ACO2) is associated with poor prognosis in gastric cancer. Med Oncol. 2013 Jun;30(2):552.
10. Garcia-Manero G, Tambaro FP, Bekele NB, Yang H, Ravandi F, Jabbour E, Borthakur G, Kadia TM, Konopleva MY, Faderl S, Cortes JE, Brandt M, Hu Y, McCue D, Newsome WM, Pierce SR, and Hagop M Kantarjian. A phase II trial of vorinostat with idarubicin and cytarabine for patients with newly diagnosed acute myelogenous leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome. Accepted for publication on Journal of Clinical Oncology (2012)
11. Chen G, Chen Z, Hu Y, and Huang P. Inhibition of Mitochondrial Respiration and Rapid Depletion of Mitochondrial Glutathione by β-Phenethyl Isothiocyanate: Mechanisms for Anti-Leukemia Activity. Antioxid Redox Signal (2011) 15(12):2911-21
12. Wang SA, Abruzzo LV, Hasserjian RP, Zhang L, Hu Y, Zhang Y, Zhao M, Galili N, Raza A, Medeiros LJ, et al. Myelodysplastic syndromes with deletions of chromosome 11q lack cryptic MLL rearrangement and exhibit characteristic clinicopathologic features. Leuk Res (2011) 35,351-357
13. Yang H, Fang Z, Wei Y, Hu Y, Calin GA, Kantarjian HM., and Garcia-Manero G. Levels of miR-29b do not predict for response in patients with acute myelogenous leukemia treated with the combination of 5-azacytidine, valproic acid, and ATRA. Am J Hematol (2011)86, 237-238.
14. Wei Y, Kadia T, Tong W, Zhang M, Jia Y, Yang H, Hu Y, Tambaro FP, Viallet J, O'Brien S, and Garcia-Manero, G. The combination of a histone deacetylase inhibitor with the Bcl-2 homology domain-3 mimetic GX15-070 has synergistic antileukemia activity by activating both apoptosis and autophagy. Clin Cancer Res (2010)16, 3923-3932.
15. Wei Y, Kadia T, Tong W, Zhang M, Jia Y, Yang H, Hu Y, Viallet J, O'Brien S, and Garcia-Manero G. The combination of a histone deacetylase inhibitor with the BH3-mimetic GX15-070 has synergistic antileukemia activity by activating both apoptosis and autophagy. Autophagy (2010)6, 976-978.
16. Pelicano H, Lu W, Zhou Y, Zhang W, Chen Z, Hu Y, Huang P, “Mitochondrial dysfunction and ROS imbalance promote breast cancer cell motility through a CXCL14-mediated mechanism” Cancer Research (2009) 15;69(6):2375-83.
17. Alexandre J, Hu Y, Lu W, Pelicano H, Huang P, “Novel Action of Paclitaxel against Cancer Cells: Bystander Effect Mediated by Reactive Oxygen Species” Cancer Research (2007) 67(8): 3512-3517
18. Pelicano H, Xu RH, Du M, Feng L, Sasaki R, Carew JS, Hu Y, Ramdas L, Hu L, Keating MJ, Zhang W, Plunkett W, Huang P, “Mitochondrial respiration defects in cancer cells cause activation of Akt survival pathway through a redox-mediated mechanism” The Journal of Cell Biology (2006) 175(6): 913-923.