Dr. Sumei Cao is currently a professor of the Department of Cancer Prevention Research, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center, Guangzhou, China. She devoted herself in the study of cancer prevention and epidemiological study, especially for nasopharyngeal carcinoma screening in southern China. Their study group identified the new EBV-based screening markers and conducted the first cluster randomized screening study for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in southern China. Besides, she analyzed the living and environmental factor associated with the endemic cancer in southern China. Dr. Cao had been a visiting researcher in Karolinska Medical University, Sweden. He is now the vice-president of infection and oncology group in Chinese preventive medical association, the vice-president of cancer epidemiology committee of Guangdong province, the member of the experts committee on nasopharyngeal carcinoma early diagnosis and early treatment of Chinese cancer foundation. She has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers, including some papers in renowned journals such as Ann Oncol, IJC, AJE and Cancer.
Development of cancer screening marker, evaluation of cancer screening effect and conduction cancer epidemiology study.
Sep 2000—Jul 2003. PhD of Oncology. Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, P. R. China
Sep 1994—Jul 1997. Master of Oncology. Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, P. R. China
Sep 1989—Jul 1994. Bachelor in Medicine. Henan Medical University, Zhengzhou, P. R. China
2. Lin C, Cao SM*, Chang ET, Liu Z, Cai Y, Zhang Z, Chen G, Huang QH, Xie SH, Zhang Y, Yun J, Jia WH, Zheng Y, Liao J, Chen Y, Lin L, Liu Q, Ernberg I, Huang G, Zeng Y, Zeng YX, Adami HO, Ye W. Chinese nonmedicinal herbal diet and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A population-based case-control study. Cancer. 2019 Dec 15;125(24):4462-4470.
3. Feng RM, Zong YN, Cao SM* Xu RH. Current cancer situation in China: good or bad news from the 2018 Global Cancer Statistics? Cancer Commun (Lond). 2019 Apr 29;39(1):22. (IF4.11）
4. Jiang C, Chen J, Xie S, Zhang L, Xiang Y, Lung M, Kam NW, Kwong DL, Cao S*, Guan XY*. Evaluation of circulating EBV microRNA BART2-5p in facilitating early detection and screening of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2018 Jul 4.
5. Chen YP, Tang LL, Yang Q, Poh SS, Hui EP, Chan ATC, Ong WS, Tan T, Wee J, Li WF, Chen L, Ma BBY, Tong M, Tan SH, Cheah SL, Fong KW, Sommat K, Soong YL, Guo Y, Lin AH, Sun Y, Hong MH, Cao SM *, Chen MY*, Ma J*. Intruduction Chemotherapy plus Concurrent chemoradiotherapy in Endemic Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: Individual Patient Data Pooled Analysis of Four Randomized Trials. Clin Cancer Res. 2018 Apr 15; 24(8):1824-1833. （IF 8.32）
6. Cao SM, Yang Q, Guo L, Mai HQ, Mo HY, Cao KJ, Qian CN, Zhao C, Xiang YQ, Zhang XP, Lin ZX, Li WX, Liu Q, Qiu F, Sun R, Chen QY, Huang PY, Luo DH, Hua YJ, Wu YS,Lv X, Wang L, Xia WX, Tang LQ, Ye YF, Chen MY, Guo X, Hong MH. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus concurrent chemoradiotherapy alone in locoregionally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma: A phase III multicentre randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2017 Apr;75:14-23.
7. Yan-Fang Ye, Yan-Qun Xiang, Fang Fang, Rui Gao, Li-Fang Zhang, Shang-Hang Xie, Zhiwei Liu, Jin-Lin Du, Sui-Hong Chen, Ming-Huang Hong, Chao-Nan Qian,Weimin Ye, Yi-Xin Zeng, Qing Liu and Su-Mei Cao*. Hepatitis B Virus Infection and Risk of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Southern China. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers ＆Prevention. 2015 Online First on September 12
8. Ji MF, Huang QH, Yu X, Liu Z, Li X, Zhang LF, Wang P, Xie SH, Rao HL, Fang F, Guo X, Liu Q, Hong MH, Ye W, Zeng YX, Cao SM *. Evaluation of plasma Epstein-Barr virus DNA load to distinguish nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients from healthy high-risk populations in Southern China. Cancer. 2014 ;120(9):1353-60.
9. Liu Z, Ji MF, Huang QH, Fang F, Liu Q, Jia WH, Guo X, Xie SH, Chen F, Liu Y,Mo HY, Liu WL, Yu YL, Cheng WM, Yang YY, Wu BH, Wei KR, Ling W, Lin X, Lin EH, Ye W, Hong MH, Zeng YX, Cao SM* . Two epstein-barr virus-related serologic antibody tests in nasopharyngeal carcinoma screening: results from the initial phase of a cluster randomized controlled trial in southern china, Am J Epidemiol, 2013, 1;177(3):242-50.
10. Liu Y, Huang Q, Liu W, Liu Q, Jia W, Chang E, Chen F, Liu Z, Guo X, Mo H, Chen J, Rao D, Ye W, Cao S*, Hong M*. Establishment of VCA and EBNA1 IgA-based combination by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay as preferred screening method for nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a two-stage design with a preliminary performance study and a mass screening in southern China. Int J Cancer. 2012 Jul15;131(2):406-16.
Updated June 2020 by International Office, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center
Dr. Mengmeng Li is an associate professor in the Department of Cancer Prevention, Sun Yat-sen University Center (SYSUCC). Before joining SYSUCC through the "100 Top Talents Program" in 2020, she worked as a postdoctoral scientist at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), the specialized cancer agency of the World Health Organization (WHO). She is a cancer epidemiologist, dedicated to cancer prevention research. Her current projects mainly focus on the over diagnosis of thyroid cancer, the impact of environmental factors on health such as air pollution, and the etiology and screening of nasopharyngeal cancer.
|Research Interest(s)||Descriptive cancer epidemiology; benefit-and-harm evaluation of cancer screening; and the carcinogenicity assessment of environmental factors.|
2018 PhD Epidemiology and Biostatistics Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences; Peking Union Medical College
2015 MSc Epidemiology and Biostatistics Peking Union Medical College & Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
2012 BSc (Honours) Preventive Medicine Hebei Medical University
1. Li M, Zheng R, Dal Maso L, Zhang S, Wei W, Vaccarella S. Mapping overdiagnosis of thyroid cancer in China. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol, 2021. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(21)00083-8.
2. Li M, Dal Maso L, Vaccarella S. Global trends in thyroid cancer incidence and the impact of overdiagnosis. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol, 2020, 8: 468-470.
3. Li M, Brito JP, Vaccarella S. Long-term declines of thyroid cancer mortality: an international age-period-cohort analysis. Thyroid. 2020, 30: 838-846.
4. Li M#, Sun Y#, Yang J, de Martel C, Charvat H, Clifford GM, Vaccarella S, Wang L. Time trends and other sources of variation in Helicobacter pylori infection in mainland China: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Helicobacter, 2020, 25(5): e12729.
5. Li M#, Wan X#, Wang Y, Sun Y, Yang G, Wang L. Time trends of esophageal and gastric cancer mortality in China, 1991-2009: an age-period-cohort analysis. Sci Rep, 2017, 7(1): 6797.
6. Li M#, Dong H#, Wang B, Zhao W, Sakhvidi MJZ, Li L, Lin G, Yang J. Association between ambient ozone pollution and mortality from a spectrum of causes in Guangzhou, China. Sci Total Environ, 2021, 754: 142110.
7. Yang J#, Zhou M#, Li M#, Yin P, Hu J, Zhang C, Wang H, Liu Q, Wang B. Fine particulate matter constituents and cause-specific mortality in China: a nationwide modelling study. Environ Int, 2020, 143:105927.
8. Wang Y#, Li M#, Wan X, Sun Y, Cheng K, Zhao X, Zheng Y, Yang G, Wang L. Spatiotemporal analysis of PM2.5 and pancreatic cancer mortality in China. Environ Res, 2018, 164: 132-139.
9. Warnakulasuriya S, Cronin-Fenton D, Jinot J, Kamangar F, Malekzadeh R, Dar NA, Etemadi A, Fortini P, Glass DC, Khanjani N, Kikura-Hanajiri R, Malats N, Pourshams A, Rahimi-Movaghar A, Richardson DB, Sewram V, Girschik J, Turner MC, Suonio E, Grosse Y, Benbrahim-Tallaa L, Sheikh M, Hosseini B, Li M, Mattock H, Guyton KZ, Schubauer-Berigan MK. Carcinogenicity of opium consumption. Lancet Oncol, 2020. DOI: 10.1016/S1470-2045(20)30611-2.
10. Rusyn I, Belpoggi F, Camacho L, Käfferlein HU, Cattley R, Estill CF, Kanno J, Le Curieux F, Mráz J, Roberts GK, Stubbings WA, Umemura T, Vlaanderen J, Bouvard V, Grosse Y, Benbrahim-Tallaa L, Girschik J, El Ghissassi F, Rowan EG, Chung F, Li M, Schubauer-Berigan MK, Guyton KZ. Carcinogenicity of some industrial chemical intermediates and solvents. Lancet Oncol, 2019. DOI: 10.1016/S1470-2045(19)30779-X.
Updated April 2021 by International Office, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center