Metastasis Molecular Mechanism/Biomarkers for Individual Therapy
Rui-hua Xu’s Laboratory
Prof. Rui-hua Xu’s Laboratory belongs to the Department of Medical Oncology, Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center and State Key Laboratory of Oncology in South China. Prof. Xu’s Lab is interested in:
1) Finding novel molecular mechanisms of gastrointestinal cancer metastasis;
2) Identifying potential diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers to guide individualized therapy for cancer patients;
3) Developing new strategies to overcome drug resistance of cancer cells;
4) Conducting clinical trials for developing optimal treatments for cancer patients.
Current Research Projects
1. Role of miR-214 in the regulation of colorectal cancer liver metastasis and its underlying mechanisms.
2. Defining new molecular subtypes and developing individualized therapy for advanced colorectal and gastric cancer.
3. Role of AMPK in the regulationof Kras and PI3K signaling pathway in colorectal cancer.
4. KH903 Clinical trial: a novelanti-angiogenic antibody in the treatment of cancer patients.
Selected peer-reviewedpublications (in nearly 3 years)
1. Xu RH and Huang P*. A new rolefor PHD in chemotherapy. Cancer Cell. 22(2):143-4. (2012)
2. Satoh T, Xu RH (co-firstauthor), Chung HC, Sun GP, Doi T, Xu JM, Tsuji A, Omuro Y, Li J, Wang JW, MiwaH, Qin SK, Chung IJ, Yeh KH, Feng JF, Mukaiyama A, Kobayashi M, Ohtsu A, BangYJ: Lapatinib plus paclitaxel versus paclitaxel alone in the second-linetreatment of HER2-amplified advanced gastric cancer in Asian populations:TyTAN-a randomized, phase III study. J Clin Oncol. 32(19):2039-2049. (2014)
3. Chen DL, Wang ZQ, Zeng ZL, WuWJ, Zhang DS, Luo HY, Wang F, Qiu MZ, Wang DS, Ren C, Wang FH, Chiao LJ,Pelicano H, Huang P, Li YH, Xu RH*. Indentification of microRNA-214 as anegative regulator of colorectal cancer liver metastasis by way of regulationof fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 expression. Hepatology. 60:598-609.(2014)
4. Zeng ZL, Luo HY, Yang J, Wu WJ,Chen DL, Huang P, Xu RH*. Overexpression of the circadian clock gene Bmal1increases sensitivity to oxaliplatin in colorectal cancer. Clin Cancer Res.20(4):1042-52. (2014)
5. Qiu MZ, Li Q, Wang ZQ, Liu TS,Liu Q, Wei XL, Jin Y, Wang DS, Ren C, Bai L, Zhang DS, Wang FH, Li YH, Xu RH*.HER2-positive patients receiving trastuzumab treatment have a comparableprognosis with HER2-negative advanced gastric cancer patients: A prospectivecohort observation. Int J Cancer. 134(10):2468-77. (2014)
6. Chen DL, Wang DS, Wu WJ, ZengZL, Luo HY, Qiu MZ, Ren C, Zhang DS, Wang ZQ, Wang FH, Li YH, Kang TB, XuRH*.Overexpression of paxillin induced by miR-137 suppression promotes tumorprogression and metastasis in colorectal cancer. Carcinogenesis. 34(4):803-11.(2013)
7. Wu WJ, Zhang Y, Zeng ZL, Li XB,Hu KS, Luo HY, Yang J, Huang P, Xu RH*.β-phenylethyl isothiocyanate reversesplatinum resistance by a GSH-dependent mechanism in cancer cells withepithelial-mesenchymal transition phenotype. Biochem Pharmacol.85(4):486-96.(2013)
8. Chen DL, Zeng ZL, Yang J, RenC, Wang DS, Wu WJ, Xu RH*. L1cam promotes tumor progression and metastasis andis an independent unfavorable prognostic factor in gastric cancer. J HematolOncol. 6:43. (2013)
Rui-hua Xu, Ph.D.
Professor of Department of Medical Oncology
President of Sun Yat-sen University Cancer Center
651 Dong Feng East Road,
Guangzhou 510060, PR China